The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spaced

what's the deal with commonwealth land?

I was reading an article in one of the weekend papers, the Sunday Times, about Perth's nudist beach, the Swanbourne beach. I'll read out the part which I found interesting:

"Freedom prevails here and, although the beach itself is at the conservative end of Perth's coastal stretch, nudity at Swanbourne is protected from authoritative harm because it is army land and, therefore, Commonwealth property."

I was wondering what they meant by this. Is Swanbourne, by virtue of it being "Commonwealth property," subject only to Commonwealth ie Federal? legislation thus exempting it from state laws - for instance the misuse of drugs act and the poison's act? Just wondering if anyone knew any more about this one and if perhaps there are other places designated as Commonwealth property where people can walk around in the nude etc.

what a neat idea. haven't got a clue if this is for real, but it certainly seems possible.

Don't forget that the federal laws are quite strict too, even if not as comprehensive.

I'm often nude at Swanbourne. If I knew I could be nude at numerous other places without fear of persecution, I would be.

Damn that pesky persecution tripe.

well i hope th erules are different cos whn youire nude theres nowhere to hide your pipe

well i hope the rules are different cos whn youire nude theres nowhere to hide your pipe

Thats not true. I am sure CS could suggest a handy spot for your pipe when you are nude.

This may well be an old wives tale, but I've always been of the opinion that Commonwealth land falls under the jurisdiction of the Federal police. I'd say if the Feds made the effort to nab you for whatever you were doing 'wrong' then the punishment would be somewhat more severe. I dunno, this is just hearsay from when I used to go to parties in disused army bunkers (on army/commonwealth land)

this might be the same as "crown" land - the holy land of doof parties as the local police have no jurisdiction and a special federal officer has to drive out there (and they are usually hours away) to stop the party.

we held a party on crown land at jarvis bay a few years ago and when the police got there they basically said, "we dont know what we are allowed to do as this is crown land and we have no jurisdiction" and drove off.