The Corroboree

How do you root pereskiopsis ?

Do you need rooting hormone? 

Or is it easy as rooting tricho's, or easier?

what is the most efficient pot size?, 5cm square?

can I use my new tricho mix? [60%john innes #3 : 40%grit/kitty litter]

I have some pere'z on the way and they look prime for propagation.

pereskiopsis.jpg

I might have a bash at grafting a few seedlings at the same time ... 

but want to be sure what to do.. 

I'll be setting up in the olde toadarium seeing as virola nuts don't like it in there so far and could "pot up" to a taller but otherwise identical tank..

gallery_14443_791_513340.jpg

Thank you kindly :)

pereskiopsis.jpg

pereskiopsis.jpg

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

Pere is the easiest thing to grow and it grows like a bloody weed. Just stick a cutting in soil and you're good to go. You can even stick it in water and get it to root that way. I was surprised by its ability to grow hydroponically in a glass of water. 

I'd recommend putting your cuttings in a bigger pot to start with so you can produce a lot more yourself and once you have a bunch of new growth you can use the tips to make cuttings for grafting. 

• Like 2

Yeah, it grows amazingly. When you take the cuttings let them heal for a day and then plant into a rich potting mix. They will root in a week and be actively growing in two... If you keep a mother, you'll never run out. Your grafts will send new shoots too, let them get long enough and take them too...

if you put them into 75mm pots (for the ones you want to graft) you'll be able to control the growth...

• Like 1

yay they arrived ,  took about 3 hours to pot em up and get them ready but that's the first time I didn't get gloch'd :D

I think these ones like me , but look like they've already had cuttings taken and rooted since the listing pic in post 1 was nabbed from the web , so I put them in the sunshine for a bit and had a break...

2017-02-03 13.04.46.jpg

I used: 1 scoop john innes#3, 1 scoop RFB mix & 1 scoop cactus mix.., watered in well... they were very wet soiled upon arrival except 1 which was bone dry and the pere still looked ay-ok.. 

Thanks you guys for the tips and confidence! 

2017-02-03 13.04.46.jpg

2017-02-03 13.04.46.jpg

When you take the cuttings let them heal for a day and then plant into a rich potting mix. They will root in a week and be actively growing in two...

where do I let them heal please?,

in the humidity growing box chamber or maybe on top of it in the heat from the lighting?

-and thanks for the pot size tips mate,

I'm re-using (i think they're) 100mm pots from the virola trials/fails (although 11 nuts seem ok so have gone in the rainforest box with little faith but anyways..) 

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ