The Corroboree
squidgygoanna

What are some must have chemicals / insecticides / nutrients in your arsenal?

As per the title, what are some chemicals/nutrients/insecticides that you keep on hand at all times to maintain your gardens health?

Neem oil is a big one for me to keep pests (specifically mites and aphids) at bay.

Seasol is another just for general soil conditioning.

Interested to hear what you guys are using as far as nutrient sprays and drenches, insecticides, etc

Edited by squidgygoanna
  • Like 2

Same as you, squiggly, neem and seasol. I've tried eco-oil which worked alright for aphids. I've tried pyrethrum for thrips on indoor plants, but I couldn't get rid of them long-term with it. If they're growing around I'll make a decoction of comfrey and/or dandelion as a fertiliser.

• Like 1

yellow sulphur and alcohol handwash gel 

a bottle of headlice lotion 

fish blood n bone

tomato food

aeroponics A B ferts

vaseline (mainly bonsai oriented)

D-limonene

osmacote 14 month slow release ferts 

wd-40

sb plant invigorator

peroxide

there may be a few more but so hard to fit into such a tiny arsenal :3

oh yeah, dirty olde fishtank water especially after a filter maintenance can be a nice thing to have in the arsenal x]

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

A worm farm for an ongoing supply of free worm castings and worm tea.

A compost tumbler/bin for an ongoing supply of free compost. Furthermore, having a compost bin and a worm farm gives you a handy way to re-use old spent potting mix. 

Charlie Carp fish fertiliser because it works well on everything, including cacti and natives, and it's environmentally friendly. The manufacturer claims that the natural oils help deter pests and act as a wetting agent too.

Dish washing liquid to make a cheap and garden friendly pest spray. Works wonders on aphids. 

• Like 2

wd-40 seems to keep a fair few critters away when a tiny bit is applied to the outside of pots (sexy black plastic square ones not terracotta) only in small enough quantities not to drip/run (don't risk it if you're a crap aim) and it kills weeds (quote) Borax, WD-40 and Bleach are the most effective chemicals at killing plants. 

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 3

Some nice lists in here! I completely forgot I have a brand new worm farm I never set up. There's a project for tomorrow :lol: