The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sharxx101

Teaching English overseas

Been thinking of this for a while now and want to see if any members have or are teaching English abroad.

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated :)

Edited by sharxx101

Which country? I know a few people who've done it in Japan and Thailand. They recommend doing it. 

Start off with a tesol course, you don't even need to learn the language of the country you are going to, but it would greatly  help.

Thailand first then I am thinking Brazil

Hey Sharxx I did two years in south korea, ten years ago now lol. I don't know what it's like now it terms of setting up jobs.

At that time, what you needed was a three (or more) year undergraduate degree to get the working visa. No TESOL. No Korean language. Pick a school on the internet, do a paper then phone interview, make sure you send a good clean photo, make sure you are very clear on the conditions, some people get stung.

Round trip flight provided if you stay for 12 months. Nice flat. Good pay. I chose Korea because the pay is good, so is Japan. Other places (China, SE Asia) don't pay much, it's hard to save in those countries, so it depends on what your priorities are.

Korea is not a romantic tourist place but it's lovely, great culture, friendly people, mountainous with temples and such. I liked it a lot, may have changed now I don't know. I worked in a private academy, private tutor on the side, also in public schools, pay no tax (1.5%), it's a reasonable saver out of university. Great climate on the south coast, good snow up around Seoul if you like that.

I looked in south america (and poland once) a few years later when I was stuck for what to do, and wanted to spend time in the Americas - but good knowledge of spanish was a condition at many schools there.