The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Help with id on feral garlic please.

Found this, it's not three cornered leek and it's not elephant garlic. Both of which I have found elsewhere locally. Any ideas? The bulb are triangle. I am assuming it is edible. Most likely an old weed left over from long ago when there used to be habitation in this spot. Have not seen  It flower which will help with id. 

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c525b181a8f3bcd9a9c777ea7ffffd88.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c525b181a8f3bcd9a9c777ea7ffffd88.jpeg

Sure it's not just normal garlic? Often when they've stayed in situ for a while they will form single large bulbs instead of multiple cloves. Usually they are roundish though

• Like 2

When growing they did look just like garden garlic plants. So maybe it is just true garlic. It does smell just like garlic. But many allium do. In any case I am assuming it's edible and will cook some with foraged mushies on toast for a foraged lunch. I will have to go back when it's flowering and check to help I'd. 

Yeah, pretty sure this is common garlic. Tastes excellent! Went wonderfully with some hedgehogs on toast. Simply stunning! Handy for it to grow in the same place as the foraged shrooms. Explains why it wasn't overly prolific and contained to small areas of growth even after 30+years of being vacant. Being only vegetavely propagated with no fertile seed dispersal or bulbils. 

Will have to grab some for the garden with such an excellent flavour it might be a cultivar worth growing. 

Nice. My neighbor is a old garlic guru, been growing it for 40+ years. He has said in the past he wishes he still had his old varieties he grew 30 years ago.. Well his old garden from 30 years ago is on my land, it's just an overgrown bunch of scrub.  earlier this year I went down there & noticed about 100 garlic flowers poking out of the scrub. Boom. The best old school heirloom garlic variety is back in cultivation!  

If if its thrived here for 30 years by itself then that's exactly the variety I want. Best tasting garlic I've ever had too.

• Like 2