The Corroboree
BedOSpines

Skin going red on T. Lophophoroides

Any ideas about this? I've looked at heaps of pics and haven't found one with the red. It's under artificial light so no burn. I just checked the roots and all is well there. 20160426_184837.jpg

20160426_184837.thumb.jpg.ad39839c57700550f102eed2d7648408.jpg

20160426_184837.thumb.jpg.ad39839c57700550f102eed2d7648408.jpg

yea. the other turbs don't seem to mind. just the lophophoroides. I've seen some cacti do similar thing when they don't get enough water but idk. 

Ive just moved a grafted one into the same light so we shall see if that's the cause. 

Do you use a red lamp? It´s normal that plants that are grown under red lamps turn red. It happens to all cacti. Many people abuse this to sell off red "variegates" or mutants. But as soon as those plants are grown in a natural lighting, they change back.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 3

That's interesting EG, Its under its lights in the pic. they are daylight t5's around 6k i'm guessing. they look a lot warmer compared to the 6k LED's i got though, they are more blueish. but yea not pure red. looks to be the actual skin surface thats red no deeper. looks burnt to me but I can't understand why that might be.

I didn't think of that. It has been having very long days. I'll shorten em some and see what happens.

Pretty sure it´s the lamp. The upper parts mostly looks burnt because of the red color and the bright areas around it, but I am sure it´ll look normal again soon. You know, I have those kinds of discolorations all the time. And either they are from the red light in the lamp or they are caused by stress. If you take a plant that´s not used to a bright lamp and put it under it, it´ll have a strong reaction like this one. You also get the same stuff in the first few weeks after you take seedlings in a greenhouse. Sometimes this is an indicator of stress, but it can also happen on perfectly healthy plants.

• Like 1

Cheers EG, now I look more closely it's not as bad on the other side that's getting less light. I suppose I'll try it under the bluer looking Leds.