The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
karl_marx

Need consult with cactus surgeon for aerole grafting

I received a cactus as a rescue and subsequently found it necessary to cut it into small sections and try to root those. The first of those sections has developed a very bad case of rot. I'm thinking I can make one last attempt to propagate from this section. Even if I can't, I'm going to try because things are looking very grim and otherwise it will just die.

Given the size of these aeroles, what kind of grafting stock should I use? Is there a particular technique that is most appropriate? I have access to lots of tools and can source some rootstocks if pereskiopsis or PC Pachanoi isn't the best candidate.

The gallery of candidate aeroles is here, with my backwards yankee scale for, uh, scale.

https://imgur.com/a/6M7Fr

• Like 1

First off, good luck as you'll need it. In my experience that cactus is toast. I have done lots of grafting both aerole and normal trying to save cacti that have come in with a case of rot and there's a certain point where the rot has set in too deep. I bet PC pachanoi would be your best bet and I would attempt some slab grafts if the rot doesn't go down to the center. Keep the grafts dry and warm and out of direct sun.

I suppose I was a bit ambitious. Just discovered the problem yesterday afternoon and this is my first bad rot case. The segment is a total loss, as you've said.

This being a bit of a special specimen, though, I felt like I ought to at least try something. I cut one of those aeroles out in a sort of fat wedge, and cut a wedge down into the center of a pereskiopsis stock. Then I jammed the two together and sealed it with a big bead of superglue. I'll see how long that lasts, I guess.

Editing to add that the other segments I cut from the original plant seem to be fine. The rescue as a whole is still a success.

Edited by karl_marx
  • Like 1