The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shroomy

ssri,s would you?

spot on rev! My sugra levels are fucked and the only thing i can really eat and get no reaction from is a nice slab of roast beef, pork or chicken!!

By the way, as ive always said with the come-up mushroom anxiety - the best remedy for that is a walk or a wank...

Guest electro

ssri's might be evil and have a list of side effects as long as your arm, ....

but when the only other option for someone is suicide, rather than the hope of finding a drug that will help (read HOPE) then they are the lesser evil ...

if the search for one that works keeps a depressed person malive long enough for psychotherapy to work its magic then the ssri or maoi or whatever has done its job.,. even if its method of action was the placebo effect or the inspiration of hope ...

hope is a very undervalued thing, especially to someone wit clinical depression

Good point.

Then it is true to say the government is to blame for allowing SSRI's ahead of something as effective as fresh herb. :)

good news the pusher man was happy to write me a script for 500mg tryptophan :cool: , after much deliberation and searching the mims the local chemist agreed also :rolleyes: .

and there you have it

a pharmacist needing to look up an essential nutrient in MIMS!

prozac..sure! Tryptophan?..what does that do?

Unfortuantly, if they are really needed... then they are really needed. Side effects aside, for somebody who is suffering severe depression it can be a very useful thing. I do also believe they are over prescribed though, as unfortuantly people go on courses because they are feeling a bit down for a period of time and I feel that is often unnecessary. Mostly because this can be circumstantial alot of the time, and if one doesn't alliviate the circumstances then these drugs will be useless. Major depression however must be treated, as it is a miserable existance and suicide is a reality in our world.

This is all based on personal experience, but I am no longer on SSRI's but now a different class of antidepressant called mirtazapine. Similar structure to the old tetracyclics but still unique from that class.