The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gtarman

Experiences growing New Guinea Bean..??

Anyone grow this? I'm on my second time trying to grow it from seeds bought off eBay (can't remember if same seller). The first time nothing germinated at all, second time is looking the same. I see references on the net to it being easy to grow so I'm wondering if maybe that's not true and the seed is generally hard to germinate, or if maybe I'm just getting dodgy seeds?

Advice appreciated. Cheers!

Ah nevermind. I just checked now and one of them is sprouting, they were just a little slower than everything else. It sounds like they need a min. soil temp of 22c to germ as well so the last batch might have been perfectly viable for all I know...planted them at the end of Autumn lol

• Like 1

I grew some last year and it helps if you sand off a bit of the seed coating and then soak them in water for 24 hours or so before planting

• Like 1

You're welcome. And make sure you give them a fair bit of room to grow if you can. They ended up taking over half of my vege patch

• Like 1

I've heard that lol. As long as they're productive my veg patch is all about survival of the fittest haha

• Like 1

Hey coolname what were your germination rates like? Out of the 12 seeds I planted (some scarified) only 1 has germinated after about a month. I'm thinking I might also just have dodgy seed or it might just be one of those plants where seed doesn't stay good for long. What do you reckon?

Hopefully the one I planted makes it to fruiting stage and I'll have a tonne of fresh seed to try with.

I planted 10 seeds and 8 germinated within a few weeks. But that was during summer in north qld so it might take a bit longer where you are. It sounds like you don't have very fresh seeds.

But luckily you only need a couple of plants. I only kept 4 and that was more than enough for me

• Like 1

Cheers. Yeah I don't think the temps would be the issue now coming into the SEQ late spring/summer. I might try see if I can buy some fresher seed, and hopefully at least then all my hopes don't rest on the one plant doing well!

• Like 1

No worries. I am pretty sure I got my seeds from ebay by the way. Hopefully you will have better luck with new seeds

• Like 1