The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sakura

Introductions

Howdy all....

Some of you might know me from 'other' forums -others are lucky :)

I'm an Aussie a looong way from home (in Western Japan) and have taken an interest in ethnobotanicals.

Been looking through the forums and am encouraged to see that the good natured bashing of other nationalities has continued in my absence :) (Keep it up guys! - That's what being an Aussie is all about!)

Japanese beer is OK... Girls are pretty (but I'm married - sigh) and the money is good. Probably won't be home for a few years yet...

So... That's me anyway (I'm an English teacher and father of 2 daughters and love the mounains and the beach)

greetings, good to to see you here. the japanese do make some good beers, suntory does a good beer and a passable copy of a scotch type whiskey.

And good mushrooms too!

great to see youve found your way back down here Sakura :) Hope we see more of you here and at the shroomery

hello sakura: I've seen some of your posts out there. I study mushrooms in Japan too. Lately I've been collecting Kabanoanatake on my skis as once the snow melts the sasa (6 foot bamboo thickets) take too long to bushwack through. The fungi is a big hit as it kills HIV-1 (pubmed), two flu viruses, and in Japan they use it for diabetes, atopic skin and stomach cancer. The powdered inner part of the sclerota is very expensive and used like coffee.

Actually, I think this forum should be kept to plants. I have posted some political stuff attacking Bush and related leaders though. I'm not specifically sighting you sakara, it is just that the other web forums that discuss plants have after a time gotten tiresome as nitpicking and flaring nationalism muddled the exchange of info to the point that the best and most knowledgeable members got sick of the flaring and dropped off. I haven't seen that problem too much since I've been here at ShamOz though I've not been here that long. I think if attacking, better to narrow the target to the real players, the policy makers, upper echelon, otherwise whether nationalism or racism it is people trying to hurt people that they don't even know. I personally think all forms of nationalism serve to divide people into controllable, manageable segments so as to more easily control them. It is rare that smart folks buy into it. Better for common interested people to collect and unite to force majority opinion upon the legislators rather than playing into their division game.

[ 01. April 2004, 15:39: Message edited by: hoodoo ]

sakura:

Howdy all....

Good to meet, you ,pull up a pew :)

(Keep it up guys! - That's what being an Aussie is all about!)

it is, hoodoo

Japanese beer is OK...

Oh, c'maaan- no beer is OK. Are we talking about beer again?

love the mounains and the beach

Which would be very different over there. I don't think I've ever seen a proper mountain, well, Mt Kosiosko if that counts. Have you got out much over there sakura?

Mmm hoodoo, this is the Chill forum, we can talk about pretty much everything here ( and do, especially whenever CS surfaces )oh, except beer, well, maybe alright beer, but in separate beer threads

Mushroom hunting on skis sounds wunnerful. Are you planning to collect any culturing material?

>>...it is just that the other web forums that discuss plants have after a time gotten tiresome as nitpicking and flaring nationalism muddled the exchange of info to the point that the best and most knowledgeable members got sick of the flaring and dropped off...

>>...I personally think all forms of nationalism serve to divide people into controllable, manageable segments so as to more easily control them. It is rare that smart folks buy into it. Better for common interested people to collect and unite to force majority opinion upon the legislators rather than playing into their division game.

:D :D

Rule 1. Never take an Aussie seriously (Most of us aren't really Nationalists... We just enjoy taking the mickey out of other people)

Rule 2. Never take an Aussie seriously (That just makes us worse...)

Rule 3. Never take an Aussie seriously (It's a fair bet that we were pissed at the time anyway...)

sakura:

Rule 1.  Never take an Aussie seriously

Yep, what he said :) We were gunna make the 300m piss-take an Olympic event in 2000, but it was disallowed due to a lack of serious competition from other nations