The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mimzy

Peristaltic pump

I need a peristaltic pump for one of my apparatus set-ups. If anyone has one that they would like to sell, please pm me. Ideally the $100-200 range. Alternatively I will explore a cheap build and post the work around.

Thanks folks.

We made one to pump sludge out of a gearbox at one place I worked. It was the only thing that would do the job without blocking up.

The design was really simple, we used garden hose and an old brake drum assembly, a cut down axle and some castors off a trolley and few bits and pieces we scrounged. It was hand cranked but it would have been quite simple to fit a motor to it.

When we first ran it, it derailed a few times. The hose slipped sideways and the castors stopped squeezing the tube. So we ran a ring of hose above and below the pump tube to keep it all in place.

That design would probably be overkill for what you want, but they are very easy to make.

• Like 1

Hi Sally,

Great DIY solution, but yes unfortunately this is for a laboratory scale apparatus. I have found a work-around though. Salt water aquariums use what are called 'dosing pumps' to add in various quantities of reagents at programmed times. These pumps are really just el-cheapo plastic peristaltic pumps, and are luckily quite modular so you can change out the tubing. You can pick them up on ebay for $120.

Take care,

Mimz

• Like 1