The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Idon'tstudydinosaurs

Psychotria leaf cuttings going brown.

Hi all, I searched the forums for the answer but to no avail.

I made psych. Leaf cuttings over a fortnight ago, some of the leaves are browning. One of the browning in one pot is creeping down at quite a pace.

I used debco proagation mix and they are next to a window in the shed, with humidity domes. temps inside get up to 38 C during the day.

Is this temp too high and could they be getting too much light?

I understand that some browning is expected, but they have only been in there a fortnight.

Thanks.

They have to be kept pretty damp. Iv only ever used paper towel in a zip lock bag method

38 is pretty high, but they are probably ok. Is it just the tips that are dying off? I had a tray once that sat there for maybe 6 weeks, no action, tips browning and dying off etc, I thought it was all over so I chucked it outside and forgot about it. A while later I had a look and had heaps of shoots coming up. Psychotrias can take a while, I wouldn't be too concerned about the browning just yet.

As an aside, does you Debco prop mix drain well? I used some ages (years) ago and it was really bad, as if there was a fine silt in it or something, I'd water it and it would take minutes to drain, pores completely blocked up. Not what you want. I assume it was just a bad batch, what is your experience so far?

• Like 1

Yeah they get misted everyday. I have ones in the zip bag too but they seem fine.

I am really happy with the debco, first time using it, but ot drains really well.

I will move them away from the window and see how it goes.

Edited by archaeologistintraining
  • Like 1

Take them out of any direct sunlight if they are exposed in the window. The temp should be fine. Are they enclosed in something or exposed to air?

This is the one I mentioned in the other thread that did nothing for a year. A whole year!!! Then hello,, a shoot appeared. It was in a clear tub, pretty much neglected, only misted now and then.

post-13197-0-86913400-1424157865_thumb.j

Apologies for the sideways pic.

post-13197-0-86913400-1424157865_thumb.jpg

post-13197-0-86913400-1424157865_thumb.jpg

Edited by upside

Where they in any direct sun in the window? From what I understand they grow under the forests canopy, so I'm thinking shade is the key?

• Like 1