The Corroboree
_Cursive

Calea Zacatechichi

Hey guys!

I have heard that growing Calea Zacatechichi from seed is very hard (if not impossible?). I'm looking at trading/purchasing for some if anyone has had success, so that's why I'm asking :)

Just wondering if anyone has had ANY success with the seed from this plant?

Peace! :)

Edited by _Cursive

fresh seeds are gold. I throw mine strait from the bush to the ground they pop up everywhere.

just cut mine back and threw the cuts in the dirt should have a few take root??

cheers

• Like 2

im not 100% sure but i think they have the same requirements as hemia (salicifolia and myrtifolia) ... if so...

pot of soil, seeds sprinkle, wrap in cling film leave somewhere not too warm.. , but warm,

especially if your windowsill matches those requirements.. ,

windowsills were the one for me re: hemia, south facing , perhaps the temperature drop at night was beneficial?

cuttings was my route to calea tho

p.s. no seeds that are alive are impossible ;)

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

I don't treat these seeds at all. Just lightly sprinkle em on top of soil and water them in and they come up like weeds. These are fresh seeds off my own plants though.

• Like 1

Up untill quite recently my attempts at Calea germination have been frustratinglynull and void :BANGHEAD2: so I used this method... The seeds were first soaked overnight in a jam jar filled with warm water from the kettle, in an airing cupboard, then I filled a small margarine type tub half full with course grit, this grit was first rinsed under the tap, then sterilized with boiling water poured over it. The grit was wet but not under water. The seeds were then put on top of the grit and with a clear plastic lid kept sealed on it at all times to keep the humidity level high. This way, the seeds were kept damp but not under water. They stayed in the airing cupboard as it was getting cooler at night over here in Kiwi Land. It must have been getting on for at least 3 weeks before the first seed showed signs of life, my theory is that as long as it avoids attack from fungus then its got to still be alive. :) One thing that I did do different this time was to drip some drops of Yates CLONEX rooting hormone gel on each seed with a tooth pick. This could be what caused them to germinate although I'm not sure but I guessed it wouldn't do them any harm. As well as the hormones the gel has a natural antifungiside which can only be a good thing.

Four seedlings germinated within a week from a total of about seven seeds that were nice and fresh. My initial excitement was somewhat tempered when two damped off and the third died of dehydration!!! :blink: Thankfully :worship: the fourth one lacked the suicidal tendancies of its sibblings and is now a healthly bushy plant thats really going for it. Also I recently bought some seeds from the forum shop so it will be interesting to see if I can get them to germinate...

• Like 3

Thanks for help all! :) Appreciate it. I will now go and seek some.