The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DiscoStu

do peres need to be supple to graft to?

is it better to graft to newer supple growth or is it ok to go for older?

i guess newer growth would be better but can i graft with the same success to older growth

Newer growth is the best. It gets a bit too woody eventually

If grown indoors you can cut several inches down, specifically for scions which are small seedlings... but with outdoor

grown stocks it can be tougher and no to mention much spinier and more glochids

I have nearly 100% success with regrafting to older stock, one even over a year old most 6 months or more... but im using pups off existing grafts as scions and doing the clothespin/seran method... I cut near the base where the old scion was and so long as its ez to do a smooth cut, the graft usually takes... its good to keep old ones around if you are in a pinch but I haven't tried it with soft seedlings, I think they require the benefit of softer flesh... i've done quite a few by reusing older stocks and I think the pressure from the seran wrap helps.. pups always take off faster than seedlings and plus the older stocks are pretty much root established

so to answer your question i would say it depends on the scion and which method... if young seedlings then go with soft growh, near the tip on out door peres but you have room to play with on indoor grown, at least a few inches, and no pressure is needed. i've cut as many as 4 or 5 maybe 6 inches down on indoor grown plants and no issues my success rate is pretty high and I don't sterilize my blades either... I do soak the blades initially in alcohol but i'll admit i just get lazy and skip that step so long as I wiped the blade down before and kept it dry it has been a non issue

but if you are talking more established scions off previous growths or even small aereoles that have enough shape to cut a piece that will fit atop a peres, (older pere are much thicker too) you can probably make it work on older stocks pretty well... as far as older growth on a newer plant, I would imagine so based on that experience but again I think it would depend on the scion.. I haven't tried so much on outdoor grown plants mainly because all the stock i've grown indoors until this year.. alot of the stocks

I regrafted onto had already been outdoors a few months but several I had indoors cause I want to give the small scions a chance.. I had several last year pump but never grow... I saved a couple of them by eventually regrafting and I experimented with the old stocks and shit me, it works just fine with grafting good sized pups off previous grafts... You can even go way bigger than usual so long as you can balance it... pretty much if you can make a smooth cut, line up the vascular bundles and balance the scion on top with seran wrap and a clothespin, you can expect it to take within 5 or 6 days.. oftentimes I have to play with the plastic a bit to make sure the air pockets gone but its an ez method to get used to...

I've been doing them indoors through a window with direct sun blocked, cause its very hot here

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 2

I think it's an important part of grafting successfully. Not to say it can't be done without a supple tip...

Good time to drag this out again ;)

• Like 2