The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Diaud

A proper shave..

So just wondering if anyone else uses a straight razor?

Its an amazing shave.. even just using proper shaving cream with an el'cheapo razor is amazing..

I collect cut throat razors mainly bengall blades or anything from solingen or Sheffield england

oo, got any pics? i've only got two at the moment. my main razor is a solingen and i've got an older razor i hope to restore thats also a solingen.

I'll try and get some pics. Do you only collect them or do you also use them?

I'm not very consequent with shaving............ but just the idea of it seems nice..... something that can't get old...... something for someone that likes to take to take the time for himself,.... seems like something a calm and collected person would appreciate. Just the idea seems enough to make me curious to look more into this. thx for bringing it to my attention

if you are interested in getting into it make sure you get some quality products.

Have abit of a look at shaving101.com they have some great write ups about getting into it. Also i find the shaving cream brand "taylor of old bond street" pretty good too.. and the missus loves the smell as well b-(^_^)-d

post-15164-0-94309500-1405416563_thumb.j

post-15164-0-94309500-1405416563_thumb.jpg

post-15164-0-94309500-1405416563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Diaud

I im on so called smartphone ao hard to upload a pix.

Have one from solingen the rest Sheffield blades that dont get made anymore.

Ebay can find you a nice blade normally can be rejuvenated with some lanolin and 1200 grit sand paper. Stay away fron the so called damascus stell blades ans go the antique ones as the steel doesn't get made like that anymore. As I said clean up with sheep's fat and fine sandpaper then sharpen on a carbon then leather strop for a fine finish.

U can pick up a ccleanish bengall steel for 50$ clean it up sterilize with rubbing alcohol sharpen the scratch away

No shaving rash tho as im new I use scissors to chop down the bum fluff do the easy bits with the blade then use a conventional razor foe the bits I miss.

There is also a rolls royce of shavers a auto shaver.

Also hear people using balsa wood too get a finish on the cut throats.

Pm me if you want pictures. Only jave 6 or 7 antique blades. One was my great grandfather's which started my collection off. Around the era of tje razor gangs in sydney which they used tje sharp blades as self defense.

May have to add me on facebook or wait until I getvthe net.

• Like 1

Puma cutthtoats are nice.

My solingen blade is a Balmoral.

The sheffield tend to have the makers signiture on them which adds a unique feel to the handmade blades. There is also different types of blades concave full concave etc.

If anyone had old cutthroats for salevi may be keen.

Pm if so