The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Diaud

Chilli's in winter?

So i've been given a trinidad scorpion seedling from a friend of mine.. but i hear that chilli's don't handle the cold weather that well and im in a location that is just coming into the middle of winter...

So i just wanted to know if anyone knows if it will survive the winter? or should i find some way to keep it warm?

Chinense varieties will last several years if you take care of them through winter. If it's only a seedling, it will want to stay alive so it can set fruit. Just avoid watering it too much, pick off any pods it tries to produce, and protect it from frost.

For plants that have already been through a summer, cut them right back to the main stems and don't leave any foliage or fruit on them. Stop watering, unless the soil is bone dry, and they will start to shoot again as soon as it warms up. Then you can recommence watering and fertilise.

Usually the second season is the most productive as they already have a well established root system and can put all their energy into making pods of pain!

• Like 1

awesome! i picked it up today, and she looks quite healthy.. thanks for the tips, hopefully its enough to get it through =)