The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DiscoStu

frost damage on drying cut

i had some cuts drying on an outside shelf and i went out this morning to see one had turned purple :o ! i assumed this was frost damage and moved it to the shed, do cuts usually get this and will it be alright :scratchhead: ? i've never had it happen and the ones next to it were just fine B) .

Purple!, iv had cuts go red when they start going putrid, pics man?

yeah in vic, they're undercover not getting wet, ill snap a pic tomorrow

I have some 4 day old pachanoi hybrid cutting sitting out on a Table in canberra. We are getting minus figures no nd lots o run. They are ok so far. I should move them somewhere though.

ok so purhaps it's not purple-purple but still

post-13685-0-64216700-1403216354_thumb.j post-13685-0-20140300-1403216363_thumb.j post-13685-0-13842900-1403216373_thumb.j

for comparison here's the other half

post-13685-0-99399200-1403216381_thumb.j post-13685-0-56795700-1403216420_thumb.j

DSCN0554.JPG

DSCN0555.JPG

DSCN0556.JPG

DSCN0557.JPG

DSCN0558.JPG

DSCN0554.JPG

DSCN0555.JPG

DSCN0556.JPG

DSCN0557.JPG

DSCN0558.JPG

To me from here it looks like it was going to go soft but maybe a sudden change in conditions stopped it , it seems to be alright now maybe.

• Like 1

Yes, that's frost damage. Very deadly and most cacti that show such a black discoloration won´t survive. It rarely stops because the black tissue is poisoning the rest of the cut. Again, hope your lucky and it will survive. If i see that kind of damage, I usually know that there's nothing more I can do. Frost is a serious killer in germany.

Edited by Evil Genius

:(

will it catch anything that'll spread? i notice it's started weeping a bit i assume thats just due to cell death, it's in the shed next to a scop cut sittin on soil developing some roots, should i separate them?

thing is it's not even that cold, even thought it was "the coldest day of the year" it was still only 7c or so

Im in melbourne as well n we havent had anything close to frost yet, im only assuming your close too me though, lol give it a wee bit of a squeze, if it feels too soft and it's weeping id just get rid of it, mayb its just that odd cut that goes bad, I reckon if it was catchy you would have noticed other cuts going bad,

I callous my cuts in the open air around near the plant they come off n 1 in 10 go soft, sometimes they recover , im suggesting putting it out in the open some where that's not too wet n dark,

soft is relative, it's been out for some months so is getting on a bit i guess, but not what i would call troublingly soft, it's the same as other well left cuts

ima keep it, if it dissolves it dissolves i 'spose

Frost damage is not infective but there are some Types of Rot that can look remarkably like frost damage. You know, i am not sure how cold it is in Australia right now so i don´t know how likely it is to be a frost damage instead of a regular Infection. But to me, this looks like a textbook cold damage. Honestly, i don´t think i´ve was ever able to save one that looked like this.

yeah went to check on it this morning, picked it up only to break the skin and get gross cactus mush allover my hand . i think she's a goner, have to go to the compost this one