The Corroboree
CLICKHEREx

SnapChat drug hits Darwin Streets

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/725149-SnapChat-drug-hits-Darwin-Streets [pic]

#1 Na'vi View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join Date May 2011
Location At the stack
Posts 305 Yesterday 16:51 SnapChat drugs hit Darwin streets

NT NEWS JUNE 06, 2014 3:31PM

A NEW batch of a drug nicknamed SnapChat has hospitalised several people in the Top End and police are warning partygoers to steer clear.

But it’s feared too many have been sold already.

It’s understood the ecstasy-based drug is potent, and at least four people who went to hospital took half a tablet before becoming seriously ill this week.

They were discharged from Royal Darwin Hospital this morning.

The drug is named after the smartphone photo-messaging app of the same name, popular with teenagers, and has the Snapchat ghost logo pressed on the top.
Police drug squad have been investigating and are warning people to be careful of the green tablets this Queen’s Birthday weekend.

Drug and Organised Crime Division Superintendent Clint Sims said there had been “a number” of incidents overnight.

“Police received a number of reports last night of people behaving in an erratic and irrational manner,” he said.

“These people appeared to become aggressive and disoriented after ingesting the drug and were taken to Royal Darwin Hospital.

“The drug is described to be in pill-form and has been sold in two colours.

“One is pink and the other blue with green speckles.

“With the upcoming long weekend and a number of public events planned, our primary concern is that these contaminated pills will be distributed into the wider community.

“Taking any illicit drug is dangerous and potentially deadly.

“These drugs are not produced under pharmaceutical conditions and the reality is people have no idea what they are taking or worse, what affect it will have on them.

“The adverse and aggressive reactions people experience also places enormous pressure on emergency services.”

Security at the Summer Sessions event at Mindil Beach have been told to be vigilant in their searches on the door of the outdoor music festival on Saturday.

The NT Health Department is also concerned.

A friend of the men in hospital, who NT News has decided not to name, said:
“If you take it you will die.
Continued at: http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northe...-1226946025424

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 poledriver View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

Join Date Jul 2005
Posts 8,097 Today 04:56 Yeah I came to post this as well -

The 'Snapchat drug' is real, and it's sending people to the hospital

These Snapchat-branded pills won’t make you self-destruct—but they will make you really sick.

At least four people in Australia were hospitalized this week after each taking half a tablet of a new drug called “Snapchat,” named after the popular photo-sharing app that allows people to set a self-destruct timer on shared images and videos.

“Police received a number of reports last night of people behaving in an erratic and irrational manner,” Drug and Organised Crime Division Superintendent Clint Sims told the Daily Telegraph. “These people appeared to become aggressive and disoriented after ingesting the drug and were taken to Royal Darwin Hospital.”

A night-shift supervisor at the Royal Darwin Hospital, located in the Northern Territory of Australia, confirmed with the Daily Dot that the Snapchat drug was real. She would not elaborate on the medical conditions of any of the patients admitted.

The Snapchat drugs reportedly come in two colors: pink and blue with green speckles. LIttle else is known about the drug.

In April, a Scottish man was hospitalized after popping ecstasy tablets featuring the Bitcoin logo. The man was found in an agitated state.

These Bitcoin-branded drugs appeared on the underground drug market in November and have since become a bit of a European phenomenon, with online reviews of the drug posted from the Netherlands, U.K., and Switzerland.

So far, no such review exists for Snapchat on PillReports, a popular illegal drug review website. And if the pills are as dangerous as people claim, no such reviews may ever show up.

“I have seen two full-grown, heavy-set men taken to hospital last night due to ingesting these,” one person told told the Telegraph. “I know for a fact that a lot of these have been sold throughout Darwin [the capital of Australia’s Northern Territory]. I really need a wide exposure warning put up about these. People will die this weekend if something isn’t said.”

http://www.dailydot.com/news/snapcha...tal-australia/

#3 poledriver View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

Join Date Jul 2005
Posts 8,097 Today 04:58 “The drug is described to be in pill-form and has been sold in two colours.

“One is pink and the other blue with green speckles.
And yet the pic I posted from the article I just put up doesn't show either of them.... Hrm.

#4 isthisincognito View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

Join Date May 2010
Location Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes
Posts 224 Today 06:27 It's a stock image that's been photoshopped, pretty much always is with drug articles (I would imagine the legality around obtaining the drug for photographing makes it pretty hard for journalists, and I rarely see police put out images).

Spoiler for Stock Image:

#5 Jackeh View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

Join Date Nov 2012
Location Londonderry, Northern Ireland
Posts 639 Today 06:32 Here are two pics from different Australian news sites.

NSFW:

(Pink Snapchat)
(Blue Snapchat)

#6 poledriver View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message View Blog Entries View Articles Add as Contact
Bluelighter

Join Date Jul 2005
Posts 8,097 Today 09:03 ^ Cheers both of you. Yeah sometimes the cops here put out images, seems pretty rare tho from what i've found.

These things sound nasty.

Update -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-15/four-hospitalised-in-darwin-snapchat-drug-warnings

Four Darwin men have been taken to hospital with symptoms of wild aggression and hysteria after taking a new designer drug called Snapchat.

The small pink and blue pills contain the imprint of the ghost logo for popular social media application Snapchat.

One man was treated in intensive care and another three treated by hospital staff after taking the drug in Darwin this weekend.

It is the second weekend residents in the city have been hospitalised after taking the drug.

The hospitalisations have prompted warnings from police and health professionals, who say the drugs contain ingredients known as bath salts.

"You certainly don't want to be putting this in your body. It's nothing new - this Snapchat is a new logo, [but] it's the same poison," said Detective Superintendant Peter Shiller.

"This particular tablet may have been manufactured locally into that particular logo, but it's still the base ingredient."

Northern Territory chief medical officer Steven Skov says the drug is a class of amphetamine and has warned young people to stay away from the drug.

"They are very aggressive while on this drug and it's also a danger to themselves," he said.

"Because we know that with these types of drugs there is a potential to have a heart attack, to have something called malignant hyperthermia where you essentially cook your brain.

"So they are a real danger to themselves and other people. So the message is, please do not take this drug."

Edited by rahli

The reporting around this has to be some of the dumbest I've ever seen, seriously.

Some sources claim 'Snapchat' contains 'bath salts'. Neither of those compounds are defined chemically. Hell, they are barely defined except as terms thrown around by the media.

I'd be happier with their accuracy if they clarified that a range of new synths were being sold as bath salts in the US a couple of years ago. But no, because of stupid we now have a meme that novel synths actually are bath salts and it stands uncorrected in published articles.

Why can't the press just get it right and say " Pills decorated with the snapchat logo have caused a spate of hospitalisations and we recommend avoiding them "

And the saga continues, alongside the stupid and inaccurate

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-06/homes-raided-in-connection-to-snapchat-sale/5793596

• Like 2