The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
deadhor5

Comparing Cultivars of the main three trich's

A spineless TBM for the ladies.

• Like 2

Cultivars; Here is what I want,... I want Trich's that flower in tropical conditions. So if any of you live somewhere between the sub-tropics and tropics and get trich's that flower,... I would love a cutting.

Another trait I would like it for them to be less rot prone. T. Bridgedsii's for example are the most rot prone. Peruvianus have withstood fair amounts of rain.

What traits would you guys like to see in the trich's??? Flower color,... variegation, growth speed,.. mutations :D ????

I would like a plant with cold and water tolerance, and fatness, of T. pasacana, spination of T. chilensis, but with dark coloured spines, and glaucousness and growth rate of Psycho0! Come to think of it, Stetsonia coryne and Azureocereus hertiglianus are pretty close...

A spineless TBM for the ladies.

Thank you three for actually taking time to address the original topic, however I feel your posts on desired traits in cultivars is better suited in my other thread found here http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38494 The purpose of this post is to identify cultivars already in existence in order to begin finding a base for genetics that might be useful in creating the new cultivars that my other post refers to. Thank you for the input though!

Woof woof woof, I agree a trich that does better in tropical climates would be amazing, especially for me since I spend 7 months a year in Hawaii. Part of what inspired me to create the other post (linked above) was my desire for a more water-tolerant, less rot-prone bridgesii.

Tangich, I really like your ideas, currently my "dream trich" is a cross somewhere between bridgesii, terscheckii (for thickness, size, lifespan, and eventual growth rate) and pachanoi (water/ nute tolerance). I'm still on the fence as to whether id prefer spination closer to that of a bridgesii, or a scop, however either way I think some beautiful plans could arise in the process!

and Halcyon.... yes. ;D although that would make propagation very difficult, unless you mean spineless with areoles, like a scop. My main problem with my current TBM's is how rarely they produce areoles, I have the tall variety and for the most part it seems to spit out a few areoles at the base of each pup followed by up to 3 feet of growth with no/very few areoles. Beautiful plants, and im sure some freaky lady somewhere would dig it, but not very ideal for cloning. ;[

This Thread is as close to being closed as it gets. Final warning and i mean it. Next time i have to moderate, it´s gone. And i don´t care why.

And OP, i understand it´s a bad situation when someones writes something that pisses you off, but you stop using insults now! You don´t have to like each other, but I won´t allow verbal insults. If you have a problem with a certain post, either report it or message me. But not like this.

My apologies EG, thank you for getting this thread back on topic. I don't want to dwell on the topic any further, however I would like to point out that this all started with zelly verbally insulting me, I responded articulately doing my best to keep my temper in control, and then he continued to ignore the topic and insult me, my reaction to that was less than controlled and i'm sorry for losing my temper, I'll ignore the trolls from now on.

curious that feel you have nothing to offer .....botany major & all......you should be taking notes from hookahead instead of me

Honestly, I'm not sure if this is a compliment or a jab, but I'll assume it's a compliment. Thanks. To be clear, I am an ecologist, I study whole systems, including abiotic factors. Though I do tend to be focused on plants. I simply think plants are amazing; they provide food, shelter, medicine, fuel, and of course some rather interesting side effects. I will be traveling to Costa Rica & Panama in a few weeks to participate in international research; I even get to watch baby sea turtle hatch! This is in addition to my research on plant reproductive trade-offs I have done the past 3 years.

I had hoped that deadhor's intelligent and honest response would change your mind about him a bit. I understand his frustration, however slinging insults at each other never helps the situation. You may remember when I really started posting here a lot, I received much of the same attitude from you. I too had been a lurker for a long time before I felt like I had something to contribute. Admittedly, my situation is a bit different because I didn't choose the best way to portray myself. I believe I have done a good job at changing this. Though, it's a bit sad to know that my "crazy" thread that was moved to bitches & gripes received more attention than when I reposted my trichocereus taxonomy paper in a more appropriate manner.

I have a lot of respect for you zelly, you have a beautiful collection and been around a good many years. Would you care to share with us why you got into cacti, specifically trichocereus? Many of us were drawn to this species because of their inner beauty, but their true magic is how they make us fall in love with their outer beauty. I certainly fall into this category. Despite my original intent, after 3 years of growing them, not a single cactus has been "harmed". The fact that they have medicinal properties is just another interesting fact at this point.... Bait & Switch.

You shouldn't be upset that people are attracted to them for this purpose. It has produced an enormous amount of information, and is the largest contributing factor to their cultivation/distribution world-wide. I'm sure it helps your seed business :wink: .

I don't see why you've singled out deadhor. After all, I don't see you bashing Trout and his interests are CLEAR. His publications are some of the first many people encounter when researching the topic. Although I have only been into cacti for 3 years, I have been gardening for 25. My father got me into plants, and took me for nature hikes through our beautiful forests. It wasn't until much later that I started researching ethnobotanicals. However, it's not the only reason I am attracted to plant, nor the only plants I grow.

Edited by hookahhead
  • Like 8