The Corroboree
drpotato

How do i make a decent seed raising mix like what bunnings uses for its plants it sells

Hi,

ive recently bought 3 different varieties of seed raising mix, all of which produced the same results, plants grew as if grown in cotton, they never seem to develope beyond seedling stage, such as for instance growing woody, and developing so much as a third leaf.
Mostly im growing chilli, i dont understand whats going wrong, these potting mixes such as brunnings, seem to germinate it all ok, but thats it, the growth quickly stops. at first i thought, there must be an issue with the water, or climate or whatever so i planted them after seeing no growth for a month, and boom! within 2 weeks my tabasco chilli went from an almost leafless stump to a full fruiting bush, as did all the tomatoes i tried out also.

i mixed up a large batch of 2/3rds seed raising mix and 1/rd equal parts peat moss, vermaculite and perlite, as thats all i thought the potting mix bunnings uses for its enormous seedlings, but nothing ive planted in that, seedlings into larger pots that is, seems to grow.

As its apparent the mixes have no nutrients that are useable immediately and/or by seedlings, i want to know, what do i have to do, to make a soil in which my chillis and other plants will grow big and strong?

the reason for this is because i literally have NO means of safely growing the plants in a protected enviroment other than temoprarily indoors while they get big enough to survive outside. its quite windy here, so everything must be tough enough to be out in the sun and wind, tied to a support stick. in the shade here, the tempurature is too cold, most of the heat here is from the sun, ive tried and plants just dont thrive in those conditions.
that is absolute, so i want to know what do i add to my seed raising mix, to get my seedlings to grow big and strong, just like the ones for sale at bunnings and other stores are in their tiny pots?
i have tried seasol with no success, and bllood and bone, but as i figured, that wouldnt work with immature plants.

at my disposeal i have large amounts of potassium or dipotassium or potassium ammonium phosphate, i dont remember i just know its the kind that burns your lawn if you use to much and makes it thrive unimaginably if you use just the right amount. i also have potassium nitrate, copper sulfate, dolomite and sulfur. Also i have compost which is ready for use too, plus as forementioned, i have perlite and vermaculite too.

I want to know, what should i mix, to form a potting mix for young seedlings that immediately gives them a big boost and large form early on, so they are at least over 2 inches tall and strong enough to survive outdoors?
ill note im mostly just growing chillis from seed

i said Brunnings brand potting mix, plus there was also yates i think.

first and foremost the compost if its any good :wink:

i like to age spent mushroom substrates and grain (from mushroom fails) in a pot outdoors covered with dried weeds

• Like 1

I also grow mostly chilies, and this is the seedling mix I use. 1:1:1 by volume, sifted compost:coco coir:perlite. I usually add a bit of gypsum, no other additives, but you can try to find out which of the ones you have would be usefull.

If you can provide sufficient light and warmth, protect the roots from fungus gnats and give them a couple inches of growing space, you can expect vary strong and fast growth.

Forget peat, it is a horrible material for seedlings, I really don't know why most commercial mixes insist on using it.

Also, my advice is to first germinate seeds in paper towels in a warm place, and transfer them to pots once the roots emerge.

^ but he is a real worm