The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

local agaricus expert?

got this mature specimen in a irrigated cow paddock on a raise section of soil.

maybe 3-4 days after rain. showing no scales.

0412141328 00

a week later got several of these, veil just separating some scaling.
nice red staining.

IMG 0867b

now 3 week almost without rain found these breaking through a hard clay track.
a little dehydrated. stained reddish brown colour.

print#1 b(4)

the 2 bottom pics are arvenis I'm guessing.
no were near aromatic, here in the N central vic, as the mushroom from SW Victoria.
im printing all these. hope to get to the SW soon. one day I will get a microscope.
there is a brown capped one here, that should come up the next good rain or two.
  • Like 1

Hey Lindsay - so no smell? The almond smell is amazing - it actually makes my stomach rumble with hunger. No other mushroom has done that!

yes there very nice smelling, but not as intense as the SW vic mushrooms. maybe its

the volcanic sand soil, I don't know?. I have never been able to describe the aroma as

almonds, to me they smell like mushrooms. that sounds simple, but I grew up with the smell

of field mushrooms. I need to buy some almonds next time in town. raw or roasted?

yep, they create a instant apatite along with the memory's of my childhood.

found a heap of yellow stainers few days back, that phenol smell was very distinct. yuck

Yeah I think only the agaricus in the blazei and prince/augustus groups have that super almondy smell. I'll send you some dried if you like?

no that's ok, thank for the offer but.

but if get a chance to grab a print, let us know.

Very interesting mushroom!

The closest two European species I know of are A. bohusii and A. perrarus, the former staining mostly red and latter mostly yellow.

A. moelleri is one toxic species that looks somewhat similar, but if these smell like almonds, then they are almost definitely edible.

I does look a lot like photos of both A bohusii and perrarus - its basically like augustus in every way but smaller.

Apparently my almondy agaricus appears in the new Tasmanian field guide. I wonder what they call it. I get the feeling the author doesn't believe it us langei.

Got the first id back on this mushroom. person says its Agaricus peronacurus - the princess