The Corroboree
Hedonix

psilocybe subaeruginosa?? Sydney

Question

Hey hoping to get an id on these bad boys.... p. subaeruginosa?

post-6058-0-82759500-1397361837_thumb.jp

post-6058-0-82759500-1397361837_thumb.jpg

post-6058-0-82759500-1397361837_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

sorry for trolling your threads but they aren't subs or any other 'active' species.. i know you know this now but in the interest of public safety i thought i would mention it again in case someone reading this might think they are too

They look very much the same ones I saw, and have been suggested to be hygrocybe sp on another thread,

Would love to get a professional opinion on the stain- can see this may confuse the not so knowledgeable people like myself

i'm not a professional but what do you you specifically want to know about the stain? you already said in the title of the thread you're referring to that they show 'heavy oxidization' well thats what you're seeing.. many different fungi will stain various colors when specific chemicals in those fungi are exposed to the air & oxidize. this particular one stains black which is an indication of at least one of the chemicals present in that fungus (no idea which one). there is also bound to be other chemical reactions that occur that will produce color in various fungi.

unless you're color blind, then it should be clear that staining is not blue & any fungi whose identifying characteristic is blue bruising should be instantly ruled out. if you are color blind then using color stains as one form of identification method is not at all wise & you could kill yourself if you eat it

The whitish gills, conical cap shape, and fact that they were growing on a lawn rather than wood mulch should also be hints that they might be something other than P. subaeruginosa.

• Like 1

quite simply, they don't look anything like P. subaeruginosa what so ever. apart from their being part of the basidiomycota (a phyla with almost 32,000 species) & they show an oxidization stain (which is clearly the wrong color) & there are pretty much countless species that show some form of coloration when bruised.

Maybe we need to update and emphasis the deadly imposter thread and/or the ID for dummies.

There seems to be a lot of wishful thinking and lack of proper background reading/research influencing people at the moment. I'm sympathetic - it took me a really long time to stop checking out every Cereus cacti I saw :wink: . But misidentifying mushrooms can lead to a bit more than an upset tummy and a lack of medicinal effect. Eating the wrong 'shroom CAN KILL YOU! And unpleasantly at that. http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/three-seriously-ill-after-eating-death-cap-mushrooms-20120103-1pizq.html

Be patient. Do your homework. Be aware that really wanting something to be true can alter your judgement. Be aware of the limits of your knowledge/skill. And most of all, don't eat a mushroom before you have a solid ID on it!

• Like 7