The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
CLICKHEREx

Trevor Collett | Mar 7, 2014 Get the best price on a new car Victoria’s Transport Accident Commission (TAC) has launched a new road safety campa

Trevor Collett | Mar 7, 2014

Victoria’s Transport Accident Commission (TAC) has launched a new road safety campaign, reminding drivers of the dangers - and consequences - of drug driving.

Monday marks a public holiday in Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory, and the TAC says drug driving will be a particular focus for police during the long weekend.

The campaign features a young man sitting in a jail cell reflecting on a tragic night out, serving as a reminder of the consequences of driving while drug-impaired.

The TAC says that drug driving is on the rise, with one in ten drivers tested by Victoria Police over the recently-departed summer returning a positive result.

The latest data suggests up to 43 percent of motorists killed during 2012 had some kind of drug in their system at the time, including legal, prescription and illegal drugs.

Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner for Road Policing, Robert Hill, said he was disappointed by the number of people driving on illicit drugs, particularly amphetamines.

“These people are taking huge risks on the road, endangering their own lives and the lives of others - don’t take the risk this long weekend,” Assistant Commissioner Hill said.

“Victoria Police will be out there and we will catch you if you are drink or drug driving this weekend.”

A poster from the latest TAC anti-drug driving campaign

The most common effects of drugs on driving ability include reduced peripheral vision (tunnel vision), dizziness, blurred vision and loss of concentration.

Drug driving can also lead to a false sense of alertness, making drivers over-confident while concurrently reducing reaction time.

The TAC will use some ‘left field’ locations to spread the anti-drug driving message, including 24 service stations across Melbourne and regional Victoria, 200 pubs and clubs and selected university campuses.

Canadian Tire Motomaster Formula 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, 5L - $24.59 (40% Off)
  • Posted March 7, 2014 @ 4:38am
  • Starts March 7, 2014 @ 12:00am
  • Expires March 14, 2014

150x150_fit.jpg

Formula 1 Synthetic Motor Oil engineered to provide ultimate engine protection, outperforming all leading synthetic blend and conventional motor oils by providing superior long lasting, year-round protection in all weather conditions. Provides lubrication to vital engine parts faster to help reduce engine wear due to friction during cold weather engine start-ups. Designed to resist vaporization and thermal breakdown at extreme high temperatures to provide excellent lubrication to your engine under adverse driving conditions. Made with active cleaning additives that continuously attack potential and stubborn deposits to maintain engine cleanliness and maximize responsiveness. Meets North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline and gasoline turbo-charged engines where API SN and earlier API categories are specified. Meets ILSAC GF-5 Energy Resource Conserving standard (except 5W-50). Meets Chrysler MS 6395 specification (5W-30, 5W-20 & 10W-30). Meets Ford WSS M2C945-A (5W-20), WSS-M2C930-A (5W-20), WSS-M2C946-A (5W-30) and WSS-M2C929-A (5W-30) specifications. Meets GM 6094M specification (5W-30, 5W-20 & 10W-30). Meets GM 4718M specification for Corvette and Cadillac (5W-30 & 10W-30). Meets Honda/Acura HTO-06 specification for turbo-charged applications including the demanding ACEA requirements (5W-30). 5 L.
  • Like 2

amphetamines are a grey area but i'd have to agree that they can lead to monumental impairment of driving skills, although the lion's share of impairment surely comes from lack of sleep caused by the drugs, rather than the immediate effects of amphetamine/methamphetamine. you momentarily misinterpret sense input, but constantly, for instance every sign looks like a hitchhiker, you think you can hear a truck, you wonder if you spilled some crystals on your hand earlier on because there's a some flaky skin around a healing wound :P then i'd say even after a couple of sleeps you're more likely to be tired and suffer micro-sleeps and/or catatrophic incident.

as for a truck driver who for some reason chooses to break their fatigue management code on the home stretch, how can an appropriate stimulant possibly make him more dangerous than he already is? i think for one-off situations like that (it's not safe if the driver is using stimulants at the start of the journey or throughout the week) they're definitely a tool that can increase safety, and if i was forced to drive while dead tired i wouldn't hesitate to make use of as many appropriate and legal stimulants as i could get my hands on.

• Like 1

My apologies; somehow I've not only double posted, but also unwittingly included an ad, and in mitigation, all I can state is that it was probably from having to resort to using a laptop, rather than the desktop and separate keyboard that I was used to, but things have returned to normal now, and in future I'll try to be more wary of such websites, and post first to Notepad, then edit before posting here.

• Like 2

i'd like to add to my thoughts above that "bat country", whilst being a hilarious proclamation made by jonny depp waving a fly swat around, is also a totally normal product of amphetamines, except they don't fly at your head or even in the foreground, but the sky appears to be full of swarming clouds of them in the far distance.