The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
occidentalis

assignment: the ethics of prohibition

I have a major assignment for my Environmental Ethics unit called the 'ethics in action' project. I have to choose an issue and write about it's ethical implications and philosophical context from the perspective of one of the schools of thought we have studied, eg deep ecology, ecofeminism, spiritual ecology, political ecology, etc etc...

I have chosen to talk about the illegalisation of plant drugs, focussing on Salvia d. I plan to come from an ecofeminist perspective and talk about the parallels between the oppression of nature and the oppression of those with spiritual practices and beliefs such as many who visit this site.

My first task will be to point out the inadequacies of prohibition in general as an attempt to reduce the harm to society caused by drug abuse (that is what it's for, right???), and the hypocrisy of any political argument claiming to illegalise a drug because of potential health problems.

Next I will have to go deeper into the philosophies of drug prohibition - esp. hallucinogens, and natural ones- and talk about cartesian mind/body schizm, the enlightenment hangover etc etc.... probably some gender & religious persecution issues re wicca & paganism vs christianity and organised, heirarchical religion...

I'd also like to talk about Salvia culture; many users talk about salvia as feminine/female, "the green goddess" etc, and the associations between nature and the female, 'mother nature', there's a long history there as well.

Anyway, if anyone has 'coincidentally' just been thinking along these lines, your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Christ!! Mary's not even legal-who ever died from the direct action of this little wonder??(and no Bruce Lee did NOT!)

THEY don't want us to be free thinking INDIVIDUALS;they're supposedly looking after US!

WHO PAYS THE FUCKIN TAXES :mad:

Yeah there is that whole "controlling nature/ controlling women' parallel. I would personally argue that the feminist issue is only a part of what is going on, which seems to be control, reguardless of gender issues.

:confused: Hmmm...I wonder,

do they realise ther's more of us than them????

Gotta go, I think the D's are knocking on the door