The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Customs News or "1984 hits 16 years too late"

Posted by earthalchemist on March 19, 2000 at 20:02:50:

Does anybody have detailed info on the recent changes to customs inspection procedures?

I read in an article on Sunday that new legislation has been passed which effectively gives customs the power to open and inspect any incoming mail.

They've bypassed Australia Post in this process; it used to be that they had to request an inspection from Aust Post, but now they can just open anything they want.

It's all in the name of stopping drug traffick through the mail, and there's been 3 customs officers appointed to oversee this.

Anyone else getting scared/angry/downright pissed off? I'll post the whole article tomorrow, don't have it with me now.

Posted by Shaman Australis on March 20, 2000 at 13:59:58:

Customs have always been allowed to open anything that crosses into australia. Whatever the actual mechanism was (like having to ask Australia Post or whatever) made no difference to that fact that they had the right to anyway.

As for stopping drug trafficking -- we are spending more money than ever on fighting off drug imports, and australia has never seen a flood of drugs as we have it at the moment. Australia has traditionally been the country with the highest drug prices. These dasy we are one of the lowest in the developed world. Something isn't working.

But as the drug policy of the US is getting washed out by the emerging superpower of the much more open minded europen union, I am sure we will see slow change here in australia as well.

Posted by earthalchemist on March 20, 2000 at 17:24:12:

i don't know about that one ... it seems things are going to get much worse before they get better. here's the article anyway:

From the Daily Telegraph, 17 March 2000

Customs changes

THREE Customs officers will be involved in opening mail suspected of carrying drugs or other illegal substances under legislation passed by Parliament yesterday.

The Customs Legislation Amendment Bill 2000 was amended after Labor and the Democrats raised concerns only one officer would be needed to open packages under new powers for Customs to inspect overseas mail.

Articles may only be opened now by Australia Post officers at the request of Customs. The Bill removes Australia Post involvement.

Penalties for import and export offences will be toughened.

The Bill lifts the maximum civil penalty for non-narcotic prohibited imports and exports from $50,000 to $100,000 and creates new criminal non-narcotic offences with custodial sentences.