The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hostilis

Trichocereus seedling graf problems

Hello everyone. I've been doing a lot of grafting lately. Seedling to pereskiopsis grafts. Lophophora, ariocarpus, aztekium, trichocereus. I am have great luck with most of my grafts, but with trichocereus i'm having an issue. All of my loph grafts usually take and start growing soon after. My trichocereus grafts have usually been taking easily, but none of them have started growing yet. The only trich seedling graft that is growing is the one i put on an opuntia pad.

Have any of you had this issue with trichocereus seeldling grafts on pereskiopsis? I also had similar issues with ariocarpus seedling grafts. I'm just kind of confused on what to do next, they're obviouslly taking because they puff up and everything, but still no growth on them even after like 4 weeks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

hostilis

patience...

• Like 2

That's something I'm trying to pick up on. Hehe. I've never used it in the past and this whole cacti growing hobby is forcing me to partake. :D

Edited by hostilis

lol , i have very little patience so i have had to learn to try to be patient with cacti growing .Once they go they really take off , i have however had some seedling grafts stall because there was only partial connection of vascular tissue this can be resolved by re-grafting again if its possible.

lol , i have very little patience so i have had to learn to try to be patient with cacti growing .Once they go they really take off , i have however had some seedling grafts stall because there was only partial connection of vascular tissue this can be resolved by re-grafting again if its possible.

That's what i was hypothisizing. I'm going to try a few more and have them more centered to see if that helps my case at all. They seem to be a lot more picky than lophophora. I was suprised at how easy loph seedling grafts are.

Trichos are alot easier to place on the stock and apply a bit of pressure after removing the spines ,i use a pair of nail clippers .

• Like 1

That's what i was hypothisizing. I'm going to try a few more and have them more centered to see if that helps my case at all. They seem to be a lot more picky than lophophora. I was suprised at how easy loph seedling grafts are.

Are your Trich grafts staying green or are they going red ? I find they are a lot more touchy as far as light goes whether they are on there own roots or grafted they stall if they go red. I have also had some that have stalled for some time and the months later they wake up and start growing as if you just grafted them. :scratchhead:

Also like Blowng said it can be if your alignment is not the best and some scions like Ario's seem to be a bit more touching about the vascular ring alignment.

Cheers

Got

Well. My lophophora always go red and then start growing soon after. I thought that was normal. But no, the trichs aren't going red that are on pereskiopsis. The one that I put on opuntia went red and started growing about a week after though. So in my experience the red actually means that something is happening. I don't have enough experience with trichs to say for sure though.

Turns out I was being impatient. They're growing now. Lol.

• Like 3