The Corroboree
indigo264nm

HTPCs and Home Media Setups - What ya got?

Recently set some stuff up and am extremely pleased at the end result... especially now I have access to repositories of HD tv shows and movies to download or stream directly to my television with ease.

Basically I have 3 hosts in the house all primarily running Linux distros that have media downloaded to... my main computer in my loungeroom, my iMac in the bedroom that serves as a tele and my girlfriends laptop.

I have now installed Plex Media Server on all three, with the unsupported plugin addon installed allowing me to access a fuckload of media primarily through SS-Plex, Navi-X and Icefilms plugins.

I also paid for plexpass and have the Plex app on phone and tablet devices.

For a tele I have a 40inch Samsung Smart 3D tele with a Raspberry Pi plugged into it via HDMI, running OpenELEC which is a Linux based XBMC distro. It is connected via ethernet along with other three hosts.

I was very suprised to see the combined interface between the tele and the pi so polished, allowing the TV remote control to work automatically. I have configured it to allow airplay, SMB, SSH, SFTP, uPnP.

There are a hell of a lot 3rd Party plugins for it which I won't bother listing but worthwhile checking out, but to tie everything together I have installed PleXBMC plugin on it allowing me to access SS-Plex, Navi-X etc through the TV.

I originally tried Rasplex on the pi but because of the servers running on Linux machines I was unable to access streaming of SS-Plex etc to the pi due to flash restrictions in Linux. If you run the servers on Mac or Win then you won't have the same dramas.

Regardless OpenELEC + PleXBMC is a much better option with Rasplex still in beta and no where near the same level of additional tweaks, addons and plugins available.

Very cool.

Anybody else doing anything interesting like this and tips they wanna share?

post-600-0-09342200-1380088496_thumb.jpg

Edit: If anybody is interested in the details of the process I went through I'll more than likely put a guide up on my blog sometime soon.

Edited by indigo264nm
  • Like 2

Looks good Indigo

My set-up is fairly custom.

Skyworth 32" LED TV

OUYA console running XBMC pulling media off a HP Microserver

I was originally running a Raspberry Pi but replaced it for the OUYA.

Wii console, used rarely

Pioneer AV VSK-522-k receiver

Sony 10" active sub

My twin Hi-Fi speakers are fully custom built by myself, cabinet and all. They each consist of 1x Vifa D27TG-45-06 Dome tweeters, 2x Vifa P17WJ-00-08 Bass/Mid driver

Crossover made with high quality Solen capacitors and Carlsson inductors

Speaker components can be found here http://www.speakerbits.com

post-7498-0-08968500-1380091749_thumb.jp

post-7498-0-08968500-1380091749_thumb.jpg

post-7498-0-08968500-1380091749_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jumpstarter

Nice one.

Yeah new speaker setup is the next thing on the agenda and eventually a dedicated file server... could set up one of those with my eyes closed but just haven't had the coin.

I'm using XBMCbuntu on both my HTPCs. All my computers are wired (via a network switch), and all media files are stored on a dedicated server running ubuntu server edition, in an antec 1200 case, which I got because of the 12 drive bays.

The HTPC in the loungeroom is set up nicely. It's got a gt220 in it, which supports vdpau and plays full HD videos quite nicely. The case I chose fits perfectly in our TV cabinet with the door closed, so you can't even tell there's a PC there. I've got a cheap ebay microsoft knockoff remote which works fine, and use XBMCremote on the ipad for WOL or browsing shows while we're watching something. I'm running the advanced launcher plugin for games, and I have a usb hub with a dual arcade stick, 2 ps2 controllers, and 2 n64 controllers plugged in, with MAME, pcsx2, and project64 installed for each, respectively. I had NES lookalike usb controllers from ebay for playing 8 bit games, but they didn't last that long and I found I was happy just using the N64 controllers when the NES ones died.

The one in the bedroom has older parts in it, but works well enough for its purposes.

ETA: Tried to take photos, but they were coming out pretty shitty...but you get the idea. Even with vertical games like shmups, they end up having a decent size and looking pretty good on the 55" TV.

photo-1.jpg

Edited by ballzac

Sweet idea using it for games. Gonna look into getting that working on the pi..

Fucking love those little things... especially since I discovered that there is Kali Linux for arm devices - the pi specifically. The portable and cheap (thus disposable) nature of the devices, with battery packs available, combined with a full blown penetration testing suite in Kali conjures many ideas for mischief.