The Corroboree
2XB

some cactus graft questions

Hello,

Well I am dying to try some grafts this spring and summer and never having done this before I have some questions...

Firstly I want to graft some slow growing cactus to faster growing species, I believe this to be a typical reason????

Are there any general guide lines to what can be grafted to what??

For eg could I graft a Gymnocalycium to a t.peruvianus or something???

Can cactus be grafted to regular succulents or vice versa???

In terms of grafting l.williamsii to pach or bridgesii etc. Is there any info on the resulting buttons'... hmmm, shamanistic value???

Basically I want to try all sorts of grafts, (Kind of get a mad scientist feel about grafting) I would like some pointers or rules of thumb to increase my chances of success..

Thanks for any advice.

Peace and have a good day!

Check out some of the pinned threads doublebenno, there is heaps of info here.

good luck with your grafts mate

Firstly I want to graft some slow growing cactus to faster growing species, I believe this to be a typical reason????

That, and putting a root rot prone cactus on to a rot resistant stock.

Are there any general guide lines to what can be grafted to what??

As long as both are cacti, a graft is most likely possible. Some graft unions are shorter lived than others. Pereskiopsis grafting stock, for instance, is usually removed after a year since the unions eventually fail.

Grafting cacti to non-cactus succulents is said to not work, tho I know few who have tried very hard.

In terms of grafting l.williamsii to pach or bridgesii etc. Is there any info on the resulting buttons'... hmmm, shamanistic value???

In short, an alkaloid bearing scion will have less of the alkaloid due to its rapid growth and in the very few tests ever conducted it appeared that alkaloids from the stock do not translocate into the scion. ie. a Gymnocalycium grafted to a peruvianus wont have the peruvianus alks (well, no more than the trivial traces already in Gymnos).

The main grafting types to research include the normal stem grafts, like a gymno button on a peruvianus, pereskiopsis grafting which gives extreme growth for a year, areole grafts which get a plant out of each cluster of cactus spines, and hypocotyl grafts- microsurgery grafting the taproot of one seedling onto the top of another seedling (its the rarest of the four).

Welcome aboard :)

Edited by Auxin