The Corroboree
bongoman

Propagating tip cuttings

I've got a couple of cuttings that I'm trying to propagate.

After they calloused over I placed them in cactus mix, supported.

I'm noticing they are "pinched" at the growing tip and not sure how to interpret this or the way forward with these specimens.

I'm on the NSW north coast and am wondering how much water they should get, how much sun etc and how to manage them going forward as spring comes and the weather warms up.

I know these are basic questions and hope it's OK to ask such questions here.

post-5328-0-35734700-1375403743_thumb.jp

post-5328-0-35734700-1375403743_thumb.jpg

post-5328-0-35734700-1375403743_thumb.jpg

Edited by bongoman

it's OK to ask such questions here

the best place :)

I'm noticing they are "pinched" at the growing tip and not sure how to interpret this or the way forward with these specimens

just etiolated, long thin growth due to lack of light. they'll be fine just keep them out of hot sun until they start growing again.

how much water they should get, how much sun etc and how to manage them going forward as spring comes and the weather warms up.

water: none at all until spring, wait a few months, they're big fat cuttings so it won't take long at all for them to get roots, but it's still cold so they won't need water until it starts heating up again

sun: keep them out of direct sun until you start seeing growth, then introduce them gradually. depending how they go you might not want to give them full summer sun as they might get burnt. but there's plenty of time until then so just pop them on a veranda or something until september/october and then decide what to do with them.

• Like 2

Welcome to club 'etoliata'... its basically the plant stretching for light and I find it especially difficult to avoid when rooting bridgesiis.... even a coupel that I rooted in all day sun, obstructed by only a clear tarp, etoliated some, but not near as bad as those I forgot about in a sunny window last year... put into brighter condiitions, not too dramatically but graduate them up and they will green up... you may wan to cut eventually because that tip will never correct and will have a thin neck...

best of luck... and btw, just because they are growing doesnt' mean roots so don't automatically assume its time for a regular watering schedule.. just something I learned...

• Like 1

yeah id cut it off and replant the tips

yeah id cut it off and replant the tips

So cut off the etiolated tips and propagate them? And the base will then pup?

and btw, just because they are growing doesnt' mean roots so don't automatically assume its time for a regular watering schedule.. just something I learned...

I've wondered if there's roots there and assumed there must be because of the green tip that's fattening up past the etiolated portion. They are bone dry at present. So hold off watering for another month or so?

I've got a couple of cuttings that I'm trying to propagate.

The best (and fastest) way to propagate your tip cuts is to immediately cut off the etiolated tips. Make your cuts horizontal (completely flat on top) at the widest part of the stem. Your plants will then grow (propagate) new pups at the cut.

Prune most any plant, what happens? 2x new growth.

Leaving the etiolated tips as they are is absolutely the worst thing you can do to them.

Since you have two, whack one and not the other & see what happens. Learn & gain knowledge from your own personal experiences.

Since you have two, whack one and not the other & see what happens. Learn & gain knowledge from your own personal experiences.

Yes, great advice, thanks the joy of gardening for me is the process you describe. I just feel lost at sea with cactus but am enjoying the learning.