The Corroboree
3lliot

Self-watering pots?

noob alert.

I've got some B. caapi & P. viridis plants (little baby ones) - would keeping them in self-watering pots be a bad idea? Does that make the soil too damp?

Also I'm going to germinate some more P. viridis seeds - should I be mixing some sand into the potting mix?

Any tips much appreciated.

-E

IMO self watering pots = death pots.

This might be because i don't know how to use them, but i have given up on them entirely.

• Like 1

I have 2 caapi's growing in 50cm self watering pots...they've been powering along for about 18mths now. I also have viridis, but for some unknown reason I've never been tempted to put them in "self waterers". The viridis I have are in 40cm black pots with saucers...I put about 40-50mm of gravel in the bottom of the pots, for drainage.

If you've got thirsty plants the self-waterers work great.

If your concern is "wet feet", then add a bit of perlite or course sand to your mix.

Don't make the mistake of watering from the top, they work via a capillary action. If u water from the top eventually they'll pack down & the water will end up passing down around the sides....& of course don't forget a little bit of mulch to stop the top from drying out.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Swami might be on the money there.

Also with P . Viridis i would add coco coir etc. IME they really dig organic matter in there mix. Some sand wont them either

I had my B. caapi in a self-watering pot (I only received it yesterday) & when I got home today it was looking pretty sad & wilty. so I'm not sure if it was the self-watering pot, or shock from being in the post. I also had it in the window today, which is direct sun most of the day, but I had a layer of gauze in front of it, to filter some of the sun out.

so there are 3 things that could be affecting it... the p. viridis was ok though.

I've taken it out of the self-watering tray now, and moved it out of the sun. hopefully will be looking a bit more perky tomorrow...

i wouldn't be doing any more re-potting for now. 1 day after postage is not a period i would base any choice on. It can take weeks/months for a plant to recover and disturbing the roots will no doubt only shock the plant further.

I would use a humidity dome for the next 2-4 weeks on the caapi. You can make one from a 1.25-2L clear bottle. Be sure to take it off for an hour a day after week 1 and then keep increasing that time.

• Like 1

I didn't re-pot it, I just put the pot in a tray with water in the bottom. it seems to be recovering this morning. I'll just water it manually for a while & make a little sauna for it.

Don't forget these plants are sub-tropicals, they don't dig cold weather at all :( .

The viridis won't handle full sun, but the caapi don't seem to mind it as long as they have enough water.

You've basically just got to keep them alive until spring, when the warmer temps start to return.