The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Another annoying music question

Hi guys

sorry to ask for more subjective opinions but im curious. Can I ask you to take the time to tell me which of these three tracks you rate the most and least - SUPER appreciated if you could! thanks!!

https://soundcloud.com/user8117698/house-of-cyan

https://soundcloud.com/user8117698/summer-spent

https://soundcloud.com/user8117698/desert

Your input is VERY much appreciated. Just wondering which is the most 'accessable' I guess. The first one I will being doing some editing before its finished.

Most and least? That's hard because they all have soemthing going for them.

I'm torn between the first and third, but I think 'Desert' just has something that immediately draws me in. If you're wondering about accessibility, I'd say Desert.

But House of Cyan is quite beautiful as well.

Great tracks all up.

• Like 1

hey mate, great work some really nice laidback vibes there

i reckon they are all relatively close in terms of accessibility personally

my favorite is Desert, and if i had to pick one it'd be that one because it's got a really nice progression/stroy going on.

are you thinking in terms of submitting to jjj unearthed or something?

i hate to say it, but i think vocals would make these tracks a lot more accessible/radio friendly. it's not neccessary at all, i like instrumental music and most of mine has no vocals either, but i think the human voice goes a long way in making music relatable for people.

but yeah, that's not meant to sound like a point of criticism coz i like the tracks how they are, just a point to consider if reaching for a wider audience

• Like 1

I agree with Ajna regarding the vocals.

'Desert' is such a great sound, with some minimalistic vocals it could quickly become something that a wide range of people could relate to, I think.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas yes definitely aiming for vocals but have to find a new singer as last two didn't pan out.

thanks for the subjective opinions. They are like gold.

when you've been messing with tracks for a while they become a blur.

when you've been messing with tracks for a while they become a blur.

Ha! Tell me about it!

I've been mixing and re-structuring a handful of tracks which I intend to release as an album for the last eight months.

Mixing and re-mixing. Turning this up, and then down again. Taking that out and then putting it back in. Boosting the bass, then dropping it back....

The fact that I'm often inebriated while working on the PC doesn't help at all. So many times I've opened up a track after a long night of production and in the cold morning light I hear it and think,

"What the fuck was I thinking/hearing/doing?"

"Why did I boost the treble so much that it pierces my ear drums?"

"Why did I think it was a good idea to duplicate that already heavy bassline and overlay it in another channel so now all I can hear is the windows rattling?!"

..and finally...

"Why is there a pitted olive nestled between my volume sliders?"

Having said all that, I've actually had a productive 48 hours during which time I dug out some of my personal favourite tunes and polished them up a bit and.... will hopefully be putting some shit on Bandcamp in the next few days!

Woah.. sorry to totally derail your thread. I think I need to get some sleep now.

Mate that was the story of my life for ages. When your imbedded in the track forever listening and editing its hard to think or listen properly. Add inebriation and as you say what sounds good one day doesn't the next.

I actually took 12 months off to clear my head recently. Came back to the tracks and the ones I thought were good I now have no idea why I rated them and others I had grown to dislike I now think have better hooks, etc.

its good to have fresh ears so thanks for taking the time to listen and respond.

• Like 1

do u write any of the samples example gtar??? ya tunes very chilled and relaxed not bad :wink:

Yeah most of the sounds in those tracks are mine - some of the other tracks on there like at the lakehouse has some samples from an old indian raja cd and a few other places (front 242 but obscure). I do all the guitar samples as well.

The vocal track 'Brave' actually nearly got us signed to an LA label July last year but get this - they rejected us because of our age!