The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

This is water...

Hi Guys, i felt like sharing this video with you today. I could have posted it in the youtube thread but it felt somewhat important to me because i enjoyed it so much. I guess this is something that can really be useful for everyone of us as its a lot about our everyday reality and how we see it. Standard Routines and alternative ways to react. And i guess its about keeping an open mind and trying to see the world through the eyes of someone else. Enjoy.

This is water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpYnxlEh0c

• Like 9

Thanks for sharing EG.

Personally though, if I'm already upset then walking a mile in someone else's shoes doesn't make me any more understanding, it just makes me irritated. Being happy with myself and my life, that makes me a nicer person. The way I see it, if you're miserable, then having empathy for other people's problems is only going to mean that you have more worries. This probably sounds callous. Maybe it is, but I believe strongly that happiness comes from within. This guy's message seemed to be that to be happy you should be at peace with your world. Whereas I would say if the world feels wrong, you should fight it. If you can do that with a smile on your face, then all the better.

If I was standing in that checkout line, I wouldn't be thinking "oh, these annoying assholes have probably had a bad day too so I should be more understanding". They're totally oblivious of my annoyance anyway, and it's only going to result in some low-grade guilty feelings for me about being annoyed in the first place. Instead, I would be checking out the arse of that brunette in the next line while surreptitiously eating all the Weiss bars out of my basket and stuffing the wrappers down behind the magazine stand. That way I reach the checkout smiling because I've just spent 5 minutes devouring icecreams and eyecandy. And who knows, maybe I grin at the brunette and joke with the checkout chick and their afternoons are that tiny bit less miserable too.

Although in all likelihood I wouldn't be standing in that line in the first place because supermarkets horrify me. Sure, I could be all understanding & accepting about this irritating situation and look at it with new awareness or whatever. But it seems like a better way is just to avoid those situations. Shop at the grower's market or your local deli, or whatever their metaphorical equivalents are in this scenario.

Pretty cool for a demotivational school speech though!

• Like 1

if i'm stuck in a line line, personally i'm just glad to be out of the house.

"Hooray I'm doing something"

zoidberg-9883dd4b00ec8dfda9ae15ba87dad00

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing EG. This was a timely reminder for me.

Yesterday, i had a really bad day and i hated every second being outside. People were driving me mad...was almost hit twice by cars on the parking lot and people seemed to have lost all ability to drive. It was the day before a holiday and people were acting batshit crazy. But watching this kinda safed the day for me.