The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Brett

Sam-e

Hey guys, just thought i'd tell you can now get Sam-e in healthfood shops and pharmacies.

The brand is Naturopathica. Um, there is 20 tablets in the packet and i looked on the website and the price is $50! It also says that the the dose to take is 8 tablets a day (after 10 days). That means you would be forking out $50 every two days. I thought that was pretty pathetic. So i emailed them and told them that.

Guest ziebonka

You know you can get 90 homeopathic tabs of SAM-e for $20 in lotsa places. But then again that's homeopathicrap...

I went to a GNC store for the first time, and they have a good range, including the real SAMe, but yeh it was outrageous, and the homeopathic doesnt too a whole lot.

Do any chem suppliers make SAMe?

- trypt

forgive my ignorance, but what is a GNC store? I've never heard of them, are they a chain health-food store?

-bumpy

Understoon, I hadnt heard of it, until a few weeks ago, a friend in Texas mentioned GNC, and after that I saw one in Southland. There are 8 stores in Victoria, and I thought they were very good, because they are a big chain in the US, they have good prices and as Chem will tell you real SAMe, they also sell their own brand of supplements, I bought some concentrated valerian and passionflower, its much better than anything else ive tried. Ive tried Valerian in pure form (the brown shit taste) and normal capsule. Another thing, the store people know what they're talking about, a welcome change, and they have special knowledge of bodybuilding supplements as well.

- trypt

I was in a health food store the other day, and they had SAM-e : the real stuff, not pale homeopathic imitation. The tablets had about 400mg of SAM-e plus a few other vitamins & minerals. Apparently it is supposed be beneficial for the liver and the joints as well.

The bad new is .. it was $49.95 for 20 tablets, and the directions said to take the tablets 1 - 4 times per day. The cost will surely deter a lot of people from even trying SAM-e ( they'll probably just smoke crack instead )

Perhaps it is expensive because it's new on the market & prices will come down. At $50 for 20 tablets I don't think much will be leaving the shelves.

tried pretorius SAMe 4 2 weeks(200mg)upped dose to 2t after 8days.wouldnot bother again.4 me it was like prozac with stomach distress.not that i concider myself normal!!

The supplement SAMe which proved dissapointing as a treatment for arthritis and depression as it was originally promoted, may now offer some hope for those who suffer from chronic liver disease.

Here are some important facts about SAMe and liver disease:

SAMe, which stands for S-adenosylmethionine, is a compound made primarily in the liver as a byproduct of the metabolism of the amino acid methionine.

Over-the-counter preparations of SAMe are not regulated by the federal government for safety or effectiveness.

The supplement is sold as a prescription drug for liver disease in most of Europe, but due to a lack of research is not widely accepted in the U.S.

Liver disease is a serious condition that requires medical treatment. Patients should not try to self-treat a serious liver condition with SAMe.