The Corroboree
mud

WATTLE: Acacia's of Australia help

I'm pretty stoked to have bought his today.
Then very disappointed to have my computers security block it from working,
and not know how to fix it.

I imagine this is why there's no torrent available for it.. far from illegitimate copies and pirates.. the people who pay the money have trouble using it too. Its hyperlinked, and must reference a lot fo online info too. The flash drive I got, actually only contains about 300mb of data..
I'd 'allow' or create an exception for the program to run..but its a html file that loads..and then a java applet that needed plugging in..
and any help to get it loaded myself..
would surtely be the first step

any help please computer people?
: )

Edited by mud

Dont use IE

• Like 1

Friefox all the way... still, :BANGHEAD2:

So what exactly is the problem Mud?

You've installed the latest Java Runtime Envirinment, so is it just your browser that is blocking pop-ups that is preventing it from loading?

mud if you want to send me a copy of the data I can troubleshoot it for you. Otherwise it's kinda tricky to track down these bugs by forum if nobody else is using the package.

I don't even use windows, this isn't an attempt to pirate it!! As long as you have the resource we all have you, right ;)

• Like 1

I've never had any issues with the CD version, wasn't even aware of a flash drive version.

csiro website lists some flash drive help

http://www.publish.csiro.au/samples/USB/usb.pdf

i'd make sure you're software if fully up to date with the associated plugins, pop up blockers disabled within browsers and if still issues look at anti-virus and firewalls with the same associated things relative to the browser issue.

http://www.publish.csiro.au/pid/2543.htm

"NOTE: Web pages such as fact sheets attached to items in Lucid v3.5 interactive key matrices may be considered pop-ups by certain browsers (such as Internet Explorer (IE) when clicked on by users. If your browser blocks these popups, in your browser's internet settings you should allow pop-ups for this Lucid tool. Additionally, Internet Explorer may block "active content" on web pages or interactive keys. To allow active content, in Internet Explorer, under Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab, Security category, the box next to the setting: "Allow active content to run in files on My Computer" should be checked.

The Lucid3 interactive key "" will run embedded within a web browser as a Java applet. Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.5 or greater must be installed on your computer for the Lucid3 Applet Player to run successfully.

Java information You can install the Java Runtime Environment provided on the CD ROM found under the 'java' folder. Alternatively you can download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment version from the Java website at: http://www.java.com (free download)."

Interestingly it's undergoing a revision and update, excellent!

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/infogallery/publications/wattle.php

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/infogallery/projects/wattle2.php

Edited by gerbil

It says that my security settings have blocked a local application from running..
Even after creating exceptions in windows firewall, AVG antivirus and firefox.

And yes, installed the newest java runtime..

if i click the 'details' for the problem button, it just gives me the java console and a bunch of abbreviated commans.

but the warning box wont give me the full name of the application.. which is something like com.cbit.lucid.application.etc. A weird looking filepath.(?) it doesnt recognise when allowing exceptions.
It's a html file that goes to load the application.
so iv excepted the filepath/folder..

but still no luck.

so..its runs as a kind of pop up itself? Is that the applet?
Either way..im stll a little clueless : (

it seems to want to load an application that i cant find to exist on the usb..

Edited by mud

Am not overly sure what i'm doing, though you may potentially have to set the security level in the java control console to medium or high, it should then prompt you to let it run or not, it sounds like your security setting is 'very high' so it's just blocking it from running.

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/jcp_security.xml

My java console says version 6 update 22 and I don't have the sliding bar security levels, i think they came in 7 update 21

though in my advanced tabs, i've got things like 'allow user to grant permission...' enabled.

Tried updating to the latest and did the java website check version and reckons i'm up to the v7u21. I tried to see if I could increase security to see if it'd refuse me, but my console is still saying it's the old v6 even after reset, have disabled lots of stuff and still can't get it to refuse me entry to wattle. Maybe i've created a permanent exception somewhere that i'm not disabling, though as said I never had the issue in the first place.

Seems for 64 bit vista it won't update the java control panel physically even if java is up to date, a bug they are working on, so i guess i can't try the sliding scale security.

Edited by gerbil
  • Like 1

Yayay! Thanks so much everyone,
AND THANKS A MILLION Gerbil :worship:

it was the java security settings. Had to set security to lowest..to allow this program with unsigned certificate (or lack of) through.
I could create an exception..

but i think this program lacks a signed certificate. Can't find a .cs or .p12 file anywhere.

Now I think I should back this up in a torrent file, lest i ever lose it right?
Or tust others to keep it safe for me, under the premise that they shall never ever use it unless pad for. Correct?

Surely, making it easier to id wattles is gonna be good for everyone. Especiallly as the culture turns to poularising more and more sustainable methods of harvest, cultivation and use for all those food and medicine requirements.

cool, looks like I knew what I was doing after all :wink:

Don't know about making wattles easier to ID for everyone is a good thing :o i've shared my views about that previously around here so won't really get into it again, but I don't think the community has really matured in any sense these days from previous years.

I think it's also important to remember that if people don't financially support the work of others, future works have the potential to cease to exist let alone can screw people out of incomes they deserve, i know there have been some questionable copies of the cd version going around for many years but hopefully the people accessing them were never planning on purchasing it in the long run, though it's still quite questionable and not exactly right. I guess it's easy to manipulate media, but context it in say someone building a house or similar, i'm sure not paying at the end of the day wouldn't go down too well :wink:

glad you've got it working, i'd suggest the 2 flora of australia texts (11a11b i think) as an accompaniment and good investment to further learning.