The Corroboree
Idon'tstudydinosaurs

Red and Green Khat growing

Hi all, I've just got some Khat and just wanted to ask some questions. I live down south [Hopetoun] and it doesn't get very hot [we have maximums of 20 at the moment]. Should I be worried about the cold? Should I put them into a greenhouse? And when I repot them what medium/porting mix is best? cheers.

I say nay to all your concerns - though it might might not take too kindly to heavy frosts.

Cathas don't need to be spoiled... they are used to pretty severe conditions and have adapted likewise. They don't like being kept in pots - that's all I have to mention from experience. Normal high quality potting mix is fine, through in a lil prop sand if you wanna ensure drainage.

If you're gonna keep in pots then pot up into big pots with good mix so plenty of root space, and replace mix at least yearly. In pots it'll reach a size where you can't really do much more to get them to grow any larger.

Personally I recommend putting into ground when grown beyond a 4inch tube size. They'll grow pretty quickly and get very big from experience... I have some 'neglected' trees at parents house that have been left to do their own thing and definitely should have been topped a long time ago - things are about 20+ft tall.

Green narrow leaf I found grows more tree like (vertically, main trunk etc) whereas red broad leaf tended to sucker out heaps more in younger years - which is great propagation material as you can take rooted sections off.

Thanks alot IndigoSunrise. We dont have frosts luckily. I would love to plant them in the ground but we move around alot so I'll have to stick to big pots, they're only a couple inches tall at the moment so they have a bit of growing to do