The Corroboree
TrailBlazer

Leucaena leucocephala. Anadenanthera look alike

Question

Hey mates.

Planned on taking a bit of trip into some upland rainforest in search of some harder to find local psychotria.spp today.

On the drive and being a plant freak like the rest of you I always have my eyes out for interesting plants. As it happens I spy with tired eyes an interesting Leguminosae in a ditch.

After asking old mate the owner of the property next to it for permission to photo and possibly dig a few small plants up I took these following photos. Sadly no mature pods but some immature pods were on it.

Lets see if we can work out what this bugger is hey fellas!

gallery_12778_635_227817.jpg

gallery_12778_635_280420.jpg

gallery_12778_635_217654.jpg

gallery_12778_635_230037.jpg

So that was all well and good, I started digging up a few with the only 2 tools I had with me, The one in my pants wasn't up to the job ;)

So out comes the pocket knife!

Being the plant nut I am I started digging like a ice fiend digs their flesh and get one larger one out so I thought bugger this shit might grab a few more just in case this one gives up the fight.

I started digging 2 more and my pocket knife decides to break as I am leveraging and I nearly cut my finger off. Wrap the the bloodied bugger in my shirt and carry on like one does and get the other 2.

I then head to the hospital to recieve 3 stitches to my middle finger. Which finger is it the nurse lass says to me? This one! hahaha

Got a free oxy for my trouble and got sent on my way!

The things you do, The things you do! But hey scored a few plants hey!

Thats what matters hey mates ;)

Edited by TrailBlazer
  • Like 2

10 answers to this question

Doesn't look like Anadenanthera columbrina or peregrina to me, can't help much further than that sorry.

Yea mate thanks for the reply, I know its not Anadenanthera.spp.

I already have them and its obviously missing the purple nectaries but I was just interested in it anyway. :)

• Like 1

Looks like it could well be Leucaena. Not familiar enough with the botany of your neck of the woods to be cert.

Is there a way to change titles of posts fellow brothers and sisters?

I am 99% sure its Leucaena leucocephala.

Edited by TrailBlazer

Irie,

I am 99% sure its Leucaena leucocephala.

I concur.

Respect,

Z

Use editor TB at the bottom of postmore reply options button i think that will do it.

• Like 1

Hi trailblazer, I found this plant that looks similar the other day would you label it the same?

post-1330-0-59309300-1364559453_thumb.jp

I was thinking it might be acacia caesia but I'm not sure now? I collected 50 or so seeds if you or anyone else want some send me a pm :)

post-1330-0-59309300-1364559453_thumb.jpg

post-1330-0-59309300-1364559453_thumb.jpg

Yeah mate it looks very similar, Its easier to ID these things with a few photos of the different parts. A better picture of the seed pod would help. At a quick glance it looks the same as mine hey.

Cheers.