The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hypnotoad

WTB/T Cocos nucifera (COCONUT PALM!)

I've got one, but being the hoarder I am, I need more! Give us a yell if you have any viable coconuts or postable specimens. I'm in QLD. I've got a heap to trade, and willing to involve money.

Is there any particular variety your after?

There were a couple of vendors at the palm & cycad soc. show that had Malay dwarf, Golden dwarf, Dunk Island jumbo's and highland coconuts (not a Cocos) along with a few others.

• Like 1

I have malaysian gold dwarf ones and shit loads of plain jane ones.

The dwarfs can flower at 3ft tall but are true tropicals.

Can have a look for smaller nuts if that helps you but I think the postage is gonna be a killer man!

Mainly the regular ones and Malay Gold.

I've tried 3 dehusked nuts from woolies (the best looking ones on the shelf), 2 of them fermented due to unforeseen damage and I'm still waiting on the other one to germ. I might have a go at the husked 'drinking' coconuts. Would Malay Gold fruit in Subtropics? I know the regular ones do as far south as Byron.

I'll keep looking for now, if I don't have much luck and if you can find a small Malay nut that'd viable it might be a goer, I'll let you know.

Thanks heaps!

I forgot about this.

The bad news is that the malay one will never fruit and nor it would survive in the subtropics.

Sorry bout that old mate!

I do come across small ones of the regular coconut on the beach all the time if that helps set you straight.

Cheers

Edited by TrailBlazer

I cant say if the Malay dwarf will fruit in the subtropics or not but they certainly can & do survive the subtropics.

I've had mine in a pot/tub for 4 years now & it sulks over winter but it bounces back just fine, it has nice new fronds coming on atm.

Shortly I have no experience with the plants in the subtropics hey.

One thing I am certain about is the malay's will fruit at the 3 year mark if they are happy and thriving. I have even had one fruit at 2 years old only 50cm tall!

It's one of the reasons they are sought after for many fruit growers, The normal ones can have you waiting a very long time!

So your probably on the ball with the no fruit part. :)

The best of nuts IMO is the dwarf samoan but they are very fickle if your climate isn't ideal. Massive nuts and great tasting. I have a 6yo one here that produces nuts like boulders. Yummy!

Cheers.

Edited by TrailBlazer

If your in Brisbane and can get to the Lawnton Markets I saw four or five coconuts producing plantlets. God knows what species or cultivar but they were definitely coconuts.