The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
GoOnThen

In need of a positive ID

Question

I have found this and I am sure I know what it is but I just need a positive ID before I get to exited and harass the person for any more that he might have. He had it labeled as a different plant to what I think it is. :)

post-4489-0-72856200-1363139681_thumb.pn

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-72856200-1363139681_thumb.png

post-4489-0-72856200-1363139681_thumb.png

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

Maybe Harrissia Jusbertii ... I was just looking at those and it looks much like that

• Like 3

yep I agree... thats it

• Like 1

That is what I thought. :)

It has only taken me about two years to find this cacti and I found it labeled as a Pachycereus gaumeri. :lol:

Cheers

Got

• Like 2

Agreed looks the same as my Harrissia Jusbertii glad ya finally found one got :)

• Like 1

Well Pachycereus Gaumeri looks VERY MUCH like it. From what i read about Pachycereus Gaumeri, i even think they might be synonymous. Pretty sure yours is Harrisia Jusbertii but if it should flower weird, please post a pic.

So yeah, i guess your Odysee has come to an End now! Happy Grafting! ;) Maybe try getting it to a flowering size and pollinate with Echinopsis. It would produce pure Harrisia Seedlings again.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

It is a hard to know what to do with this plant as he only had one. :unsure:

Funny that you should mention seeds EG

If I have my way there will be more than enough Harrisia to go around in a year or two. B)

Cheers

Got

You can grow them like Swamp Plants. I have mine in water all the time when its hot. They dont need care and are hard to kill. Definately weedy potential but great for grafting. Flower should look a lot like Echinopsis. Pachycereus Gaumerii flowers totally diffrent.

• Like 1

I have lost some harissia grafts I bought due to overwatering. I probably I messed up their watering. The grafts had pretty short and thinny stocks. So I haven't found them so hard to kill, I think they're better in colder climates, but I am not sure.

I found that once I up-potted one, it grows quickly and it flowers quite readily even in its rather small. The one in the big pot that has flowered has stayed up in the roof al winter, and it seems to love it.

I haven't particularly liked this stock even though I have made only a couple of un-sueccessful attempts. Then I decide to propagate a lot first, but it doesn grow as fast as a tricho...

Interesting one can get this pollinated with echinopsis.

• Like 1

Congrats!

Finding what I was looking for mislabeled as something else <3

One of my favorite hobbies :P