The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gerbil

Bowling For Columbine

So has anyone seen this doco by mike moore?

had the pleasure of seeing it today, really liked it, gave a really good perspective on the happenings in the US in regards to gun control and just their attitudes really.

Haven't seen the awful truth on SBS for ages, hopefully it'll be back soon enough.

100% agree. nothing particularly new, but his style makes you take a fresh look- even if you agree in the first place.

he destroys charlton heston, (head ov thee gun lobby/crap actor)

if you like moore's style you should definitely read his book stupid white men. he rips apart a few things -- how bush stole the election by wrongly kicking people off the electoral role, how downright stupid bush is, how 'great' amerika is, how bad white people are... a good read :P

"he destroys charlton heston, (head ov thee gun lobby/crap actor) "

Now that was a great moment, charlton deserved everything he got, he was pretty edgy during the whole interview aswell.

twix, the book is on my list, of many books i will soon have. It's great how he actually takes the piss out of white americans and white folk in general, he does it so well, hard to do describe isn't it. thanks for the heads up :)

[ 11. February 2003, 20:11: Message edited by: gerbil ]

I want to retire to Canada :)

The underlying principle in his Doco/movie was the old warning about having nothing to fear but fear itself

An Epidemic of Mass media cultivated Chronic fear seems to be the distingushing difference between the US (and soon Australia) and the rest of the english speaking world.

Even though he did destroy Charleton Heston in the interview, its important to take into account that his shaky apperance could also have been attributed alzheimers....which he was diagnosed with a few weeks later.

-bumpy

"Even though he did destroy Charleton Heston in the interview, its important to take into account that his shaky apperance could also have been attributed alzheimers....which he was diagnosed with a few weeks later."

hey bumpy,

I was wondering about that, if he had something medically wrong with him.

But not totally in that way, i meant that he was just edgy in general, he didn't have answers for anything, but that does explain a bit, thanks :)

I enjoyed the documentary and have recommended it

to many but I find his style is a tad manipulative.

That sequence which ended with the World Trade

Center comming down was probably one of the most

emotive bits of editing I have ever seen (though,

everything he stated was correct of course)

I reckon what he has done is tailored his ideas

so that they are suitable to be digested by an

American audience; ie radical(?) message disguised

as entertainment.

Highly recommended.