The Corroboree
captaincactuscakes

2012 DA14

Hello all! I'm hoping that several members would be kind enough to take and post pics of the asteroid tomorrow for those of us on the other side of the globe. It should be viewable in Australia from 1900 GMT to 2100.

Thank you!!

• Like 1

Ill be up and keeping an eye out for it Captain.

The forecast for my neck of the woods possible thunder storms, so it may be too cloudy. Either way, pupils will be open wide and trained on the heavens ;)

• Like 2

Id like to see it too, but looks like its gonna be cloudy and raining as well

Printable black and white spotter map showing the course of asteroid 2012 DA14 during the morning of February 16 (15 UT). The map is for 05:00 hours ACDST and is the view from Adelaide, similar views will be seen at equivalent local times. The tick marks for the asteroids position are every 15 minutes. The map is for daylight saving time, but the asteroid positions are labelled for standard time (you will have to add one hour in your head). The map is oriented to the west, it's a bit cluttered, but the photorealistic version below will help guide you (click to embiggen and print).

2012DA14_16-02-13_0500.png

http://astroblogger.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/binocular-map-of-2012-da14.html

• Like 2

Fuggin clouds!!! :devil:

No clouds for me this morning but it was way too bright to see anything really.

That's unfortunate but the australian observatories got some great footage! This might sound kind if lame but space has always been a great interest of mine although I know next to nothing about it. Any kind of observable phenomena has me up all night reading and spending a lot of time staring into the sky.

It's really quite something to realize that however intricate or even convuluted our day to day reality may seem, we're a very small part of an unfathomable whole. It has always given me a great sense of peace knowing that however small I may be, when I look up to the stars, whatever problems or worries I may have are even smaller than myself.

For those who did watch, I hope it was enjoyable :)

• Like 1