The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Optimystic

Joseph Campbell

Fascinating man... He influenced quite alot of well known people with the things he learned in his life work..

I saw him by chance a year ago, on the way out and was mesmerized ..so I wrote down the name of the vid and it was in my wallet for months until some synchronicity led me back to find some of his vids at the beginning of the year... This was not my usualy cup of tea@ anything based in fiction or mythology, but I have gained quite an appreciation for some things that I was struggling with before...

If you watch I would appreciate any comments... even if you already read all of his books I would appreciate your comments:)

Enjoy :) This stuff is deep and may inspired creativity... viewer beware :P

http://youtu.be/QBwEKSO0dkI

and here is another page with a few others to look at if you so desire

http://www.youtube.c...l/HCKGHywpTvBWs

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 1

I encountered Joseph Campbell in my mid teens when they were playing the "Power of Myth" series on ABC radio.

It was a life changing encounter for me, and so full of syncronicity, and for years they would replay it on radio and then the series on TV, and each time just when i needed it.

I have many other friends who i have introduced to his teachings and for them they all feel the same way.

His books are definitely worthwhile collecting, "The Masks of God" series are good but a little academic and tough going in places, but definitely worth the effort. . The "Historic Atlas of World Mythology" is amazing if you can find a set, there are 5 books, but he died before he could finish the series. His book "The Mythic image" is also amazing.

It is interesting how he never mentions sacred plants, and it is assumed that he passes over them due to academic credibility, as did Mircae Eliade, who subsequently near his death did admit that they must have played a powerful role in shamanism the wordl over. Although in the "Atlas" Campbell does mention peyote, datura and a large section on ayahuasca, so i suspect he too near the end of his like reconsidered the importance of sacred plants.

But i consider my Campbell books as important part of my library and do occassionally cross reference them with Raatsch, Hofmann and Schultes.

I would recommend them to everyone as they are really interesting and well worth listening too, either as mp3's or the tv documentaries.

Cheers, Ob.

Go now, go enjoy his wisdom :D

• Like 1

I really enjoy hearing these stories at how ppl came to discover his work (not to deify him)

You would think from the majority of comments I have seen about this after posting this vid recently, that these were all the same people!!!!

Go figure, most of them were on cactus forums lol

I wanted to add that the one I first discovered was "The Power of Myth" a subsection of "Themes of Sacrifice & Bliss" which was a Bill Moyers interview on our public broadcasting network here in the states... I was so glued to the tv that day and I barely look at television anymore... even a year ago...

I plan to purchase that vid soon along with "The Art of Living" & "Thou art that: transforming religious metaphor"

Please do take Obtuses direction @ "Go now, enjoy his wisdom :D" .... Especially if fiction is not your thing as I can relate...

There is so much more to this world! Somehow I am sure you folks down under, have a pretty firm grasp of this :)

Edited by Spine Collector