The Corroboree
Yeti101

Sick Mesemb

Any idea what this disease is (and how to treat it)? This is on a red pigface I picked up from Bunnings not long ago. Don't really want to invest in any more Aizoaceae till I get it under control.

gallery_25_244_440044.jpg

maybe a virus or insect attack :/

Thanks guys, will proceed accordingly.

lol yea I think you guys are right.... I should have known it was scale to :(

Tricky though, it's like the lumps are coming from under the surface of the leaf rather than sitting separate on top ( as scale sometimes does). If the various bug treatments don't work I might hit it with some sort of organic fungicide.

what do they look like when you scrape one off?

• Like 1

It's just green underneath. There appear to be some abnormal white specks in the flesh of the leaf (that you don't see normally), but without using a microscope it's hard to say what they are.

most scale have a waxy transluscent outer covering that often make them look like they are a continuation of the plant material. In your pic you can just make out an outer ring around some of them tho.

carefully lift one off with a sharp blade and have alook at the bottom of the removed scale where it was attached to the mesemb. You should see the actual bug in there. They are usually brownish.

They have a breather hole(s) up through the waxy outer coat. Thats how white oil is effective on them- it blocks the hole and they suffocate.