The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Safez

Can anyone identify this night bloomer... Cereus?

Question

Hey guys, can you help identify this for me?

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/uploads_gallery/gallery/album_554/gallery_11647_554_994021.jpg

this photo is a pic of her in really bad shape. I have fresh cuttings growing now and will take some pics next time it flowers. It's has no spines. This plant is about 50 years old. (not sure about the growth you are actually seeing though)

13 answers to this question

looks too spiky :P Also the flowers are simple and white.

some kind of night flowering succulent species.

I have something similar but not that exact type.

I went outside in the hopes I might see some flowers and just my luck! One lonely flower (generally they flower in mass.)

First pick is a look at one of my cuttings. Probably 3+ months growth. Broke off a piece from one of the dying mother plants and put it straight in the garden. The area they are in is incredibly dry and gets heavy afternoon sun. Apart from a little designer dirt, some vermiculite and pearlite the soil is nothing more than dusty sand really. It doesnt hold moisture well and sort of turns to this sticky clay mush when its wet. I'm currently trying to re mediate the soil with a whole lot of lawn mulch and other assorted garden clippings. They generally go ok with very little water but that is an area with a lot more shade. Now they're in half day or more sun their water needs have turned almost daily.

Edited by Safez
  • Like 1

Pretty sure this is an Epiphyllum. I think its the white flowering hybrid that is around. bye Eg

• Like 2

They are really old plants. Also, why would someone hybridise something that imo made the flowers less attractive... then plant over a dozen of them? The temperature, humidity etc requirements appear to be the same, so I cant see them crossing it for that reason... and it also has very few natural pests?

Intrigued :)

There are countless Epiphyllum Hybrids being grown by people all over the world. Some of them are really stunning and i like this particular one too. Dont think the owner of the plants is the one who created that hybrid though. Its very widely distributed and the guy probably just liked planting them in a row. And who knows, maybe the other plants have diffrent flowers. Like i said, there are countless ones available and they are very easy so people used to grow a few of them to have some variation.You can literally just stick em in the ground and watch em grow.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

Epiphyllum are pretty cool there are a hell of a lot of hybrids out there with reds oranges pinks etc flowers.

Thanks all. It looks like a dragonfruit but it hasnt actually beared fruit. Same flat "branches". root system, etc

It said on the unreliable wikipedia that epi's take up two years to flower... I'll have to keep a log now but I'm fair certain these dont take anywhere near that long :)

there almost a weed in south east QLD,yours is not dragon fruit or selenecereus sp, but although I would bet they could hybridise.

Yours looks like the "Queen of the night" Epi grows everywhere in Brisbane.

Edited by Stillman

It said on the unreliable wikipedia that epi's take up two years to flower... I'll have to keep a log now but I'm fair certain these dont take anywhere near that long :)

I guess they mean, if you grow them from seed it takes so long till it flowers. Those are already established plants and should flower every year. If you take a cutting, it will take some time to get to flowering size though.

Edited by Evil Genius

I have had epi's flower the next season after the cutting was planted. If grown in the right environment the can put on a lot of bulk quickly. I have a soft spot for epi's but it hard to find space to grow them as they are best in a hanging basket or similar.

Cheers

Got