The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Video conferencing questions

Does anyone know how to set up two computers for video conferencing?

I need to do this with someone overseas who has no idea of computers other than maybe pluging something in and installing some software.

A cheap option would be nice, but not at the expense of reliability. Basically, if needed I am happy to buy the other persons camera (as well as mine) and to work out the configuration before sending it off.

Actual first-hand experience ONLY please.

A very cheap way would be using "NetMeeting" and a simple webcam with mic.

Netmeeting is part of the Windows98-2000 series and can be downloaded from the web.

You can contact each other through netmeeting or by using a chat program like MSN messenger (download from hotmail and set up an account with them to use it) or trillian.

once you have met up in the chat program you can click on the invite netmeeting session link/button and start conferencing.

It is very basic and you might get some picture and sound quality troubles.

I'm sure there are better conferencing programs out there and better ways to do it.

good luck.

anyone with a better suggestion...

E D

Assuming the other person has a USB port on their computer, it isn't going to get much easier than buying them a Logitech Quick Cam express.

This option will cost you less than 100 bucks and comes with all the software you need to get setup (including netmmeeting). All the other person has to do is pluig it in to the USB port, this will power the device as well as connect it to your computer, run the CD and away they go. The software is so simple that even Jack Osbourne could use it.

Now all the other party needs to do is bar up (im assuming), throw on some Barry White and dim the lights.

The picture quality will be 320X240 pixels which will move along reasonably quick over a conventional phone-line, or you could upgrade to a better model for about another hundred bucks and get 640X480 pixels but will slow it down hugely. Unless of course you are both on cable or ISDN in which case you would get a couple of frames a second. Which is quality cyber if you ask me.

Logitech eh?? like that mouse that has been sitting here for months and refuses to plug or play frown.gif

Anyway, no, I have no itentions of sharing cybersperm. Atually, it is a rather ingenious little idea, but I won't give details for a little while yet.

I am on ADSL and I can get the other person to be at a location with ADSL or ISDN for the duration. So what should I buy?? I really would like to get better quality pic as it is supposed to be viewed on a large TV.

Originally posted by Torsten:

Logitech eh?? like that mouse that has been sitting here for months and refuses to plug or play frown.gif

sounds like a carbon based error. Possibly of the I.D ten T variety wink.gif

Anyway, no, I have no itentions of sharing cybersperm. Atually, it is a rather ingenious little idea, but I won't give details for a little while yet.

too late, the cat is already out of the bag Torsten. A little birdy has already told me about your other project

I am on ADSL and I can get the other person to be at a location with ADSL or ISDN for the duration. So what should I buy?? I really would like to get better quality pic as it is supposed to be viewed on a large TV.

well it's been quite a while since i've given two shits about webcams (i only ever used mine twice) but I remember dynalink used to make a dandy fucken webcam that had spectacular picture quality. It had 640x480 pixels but shat all over the logitech one. I think you could get about 5-10 frames per second over a cable line as well. You should also check out the creative cams, like the Video Blaster and shit. Those cams are spanky.

Infact everything that creative makes kicks ass, so get one of them.

www.creative.com

Guest electro

I agree.,. netmeeting is the cheapest (not best but cheapest).. im sure it's on your win 98/2k/me/xp cd ...

go here to install it.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add Remove Programs>Add remove windows components> (netmeeting should be here/maybe in a submenu if not [unless it's already installed]).

As for the camera dont pay more than $50 for a logitech quick cam. Dealer price for one is around $20 - $28..(per 1 piuece order - bulk is less) dont get ripped off.

Netmeeting should be fairly simple to set up .. follow prompts and use the help index if you get stuck (or repost here)

[This message has been edited by electro (edited 13 January 2003).]

Guest electro

sorry i only just read that you have adsl ... i'll look into a cheap high res/high framerate solution for you. (i work in it, if no one i work with knows of a GOOD & cheap solution, no one will.

[This message has been edited by electro (edited 14 January 2003).]

I dont know the story with your mouse but logitech's webcams are apparently among the better quality ones, and if they are using win2k or 98 should be plug and play with no problems. You arent going to get amazingly smooth video or high resolutions on any little webcam though, but the quality should be more than good enough for a simple 1:1 video conference. If you look in the $100-150 price range you will get a good quality webcam whether it is logitech or another brand such as creative. Dont even consider the sub $100 ones, i have a cheapie and the picture quality is appalling!

Guest electro

deaders:

"If you look in the $100-150 price range you will get a good quality webcam whether it is logitech or another brand such as creative. Dont even consider the sub $100 ones, i have a cheapie and the picture quality is appalling![/b]"

True if your shopping in big shops (harvie norman david jones harris technology etc). However their markup is in the region of between 80% and 300%+..

If your going webcam shop around. The big shops are good to get a demo of things but never pay their prices unless you need the thing yesterday.

Torsten, all i could find from co workers for a cheap solution is a webcam ..

However if you are likely to need this more often (and arent fussed doing some setup work) then a go-video dvr card and a cctv camera could be an option. They are used as digital security cameras, the software that comes with them lets you view the picture remotelyt over a network - all you need is the ip addresse of both parties and.

it si anm expensive and difficult solution so it's probabnly not viable for a one off, but it is good quality and *should* run fairly well over adsl.