The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Psylo

x x

cant hear much in the way of 'tonal structure' or really much 'reference to key' or any scales. but it's not bad mun

• Like 2

sorry dude, couldn't help myself :P I've actually only listened on crappy phone speakers & from what little I could hear I thought it was a good effort.. will have a proper listen soon!

nice, i like the progression, got a bit of a goa-vibe which i dig

a little short to feel the full story/journey here but i totally understand the feeling of having to move on to something new (!!!!), plenty of potential for sure

Very, very yes.

We may be on different frequencies, but methinks we're dialling in to the same channel.

I will follow you on the cloud. And here's my musical response.

(By the way, good to see you've dropped the dread)

http://soundcloud.com/tepalom/go-home-not-ready-yet

Totally agree, the monotonous boomboomboom shits me with everything I do, but any time I try and work out cool beats electronically I get very bored. I should investigate using samples or something.

Mate I'm 110% at the same point as you. I've created some sweet canvases to work out, but the building and layering kills me! I guess that's why I play in a punk band and leave the dance music up to the nang-o-nerds hehe

• Like 1

Hey Psylo - you might like to have a listen to some of David Bergaud's work - it's not very near, but it has some similarities. Reminded me of this track:

Totally agree, the monotonous boomboomboom shits me with everything I do, but any time I try and work out cool beats electronically I get very bored. I should investigate using samples or something.

what do you use for writing your music?

i have very similar conflictions when it comes to electronic music, between what i'd like to create and what i actually enjoy creating.

i seem to have very little tolerance for doing much music work on the computer, anything complex becomes too tedious. but i love tinkering around with hands-on synths and whatnot.

maybe a quality drum machine / sampler would suit, but then i kinda wonder if it's hard to get away from the 'built in' drum sounds anyway...

having said that, i do like a lot of minimal electronica sounds too so just gotta embrace that

having had a headphones listen now i'm more in tune with the journeying :)

i dont mind the housey beats tbh, adds more to the goa-esque groove which is what i like most. but would def be interesting to hear some variations and see what works...but yeah, work on new stuff, come back to it when it gets some freshness back :)

Marrying the spontaneity of musical creation with the rigid structure of the technological template is indeed a tricky balancing act.

I start most of my tracks by noodling on my keyboard (as in electronic piano, not computer keyboard - although I do sometimes 'play' that 'instrument', too) with an organ VST, because there is something fundamental about the sounds an organ produces. From that, I apply filters and any kind of crazy digital manipulations to get a sound that sits right with my ears.

Psylo, I was thinking of buying a new drum/sample machine. I ha one for years but all it for an APC40, got sick of that and now I have none... I'd be keen to play some live electronic stoner rock ;-p plus the gong ain't far away, I travel further to drink beer!

wouldn't have guessed it started with a strat :P that does sound like a painstaking process!

guitars and electronic beats seem so incompatible most of the time, there's no rock soul in the programmed, quantised feel of teh boomboom. it's doable, and some do it perfectly, but as u say blending the organic and synthetic is a challenge.

got any percussion instruments around? even putting effects on pots, pans, bins, whatever can be interesting and at least has that human feel that might work better with guitar. i'd be keen to hear the stoner rock version, or any other tracks pre-reasoned for that matter