The Corroboree
Evil Genius

Treasure Hunting Time

Yeah kept it...havent cleaned it but it looks like the standard rifle bullet of the german wehrmacht. Found like 3 of them since yesterday. All empty of course. There are also a lot of unfired ones but i try very hard not to find them. Also found a bunker but most of the area was cleaned. Im actually more into finding coins and antique stuff so i went to a completely diffrent spot and found a shitload of things and some look promising. Something that looks like an old knife, something quadrangular that could be a coin and some other objects that were very defined so its possible they will actually turn into something when they are cleaned.

also dont forget the old metal detector is useful for going over building ruins:

the hotspots the fireplace surround, the front porch if there is one, and around outhouses. Also have found old things stashed near corner fence posts,within chimneys and wall spaces and ceilings with one. (hhhmmm where woul I stash something).

If there are skirting boards run arounrd em as coins can roll under them or get pushed in by kids.....

EDIT - and around the foundation stone if a building is of the vintage that used them.... :wink:

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

the only relics i've found weren't that old, our local history started in the mid 1800's. but i've found old tools, bottles,silver ware, a few old coins-oldest was an 1855 silver liberty quarter.

here are a couple more gold nuggets found w/detector in BC Canada

worth at least $56 per gram (market value) i would take 75-100 per gram as jewlery

post-1168-0-59600000-1350136088_thumb.jp

post-1168-0-59600000-1350136088_thumb.jpg

post-1168-0-59600000-1350136088_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome thread!

As has already been mentioned, rust removal by electrolysis is awesome, and is the safest (for the item) way to clean rusted steel (be careful with other metals, it can strip nickel coatings etc) without damaging the underlying metal. Don't use stainless steel as your sacrificial electrode unless you want chromium poisoning lol :)

Electrolytic rust removal from old artifacts: http://myweb.tiscali...spatch/rust.htm

And this is pretty much exactly the setup I use: http://www.instructa...oval-aka-Magic/

If I'm lazy then I'll just use a chelating acid like citric or oxalic, but you need to be careful as you will (despite what some websites claim) etch into the good steel if you soak too long. Electrolysis is better.

Edited by Alice
  • Like 1

still waiting for pics eg :)

Yeah sorry, just spent a day with the bomb squad because i found a fucking wehrmachtsmine in a very very frequented place. :( Will post more details later as time allows it.

You know, all these fucking ammo and bomb shit around my place seriously fucks me up. Also i need to get me another detector. The one i have is being used by the bomb squad to find mines and it did exactly that. Need something that differentiates between the metals. Wont go for anything thats made from iron anymore as soon as i have a new one.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 3

good to hear from you, was hoping a news report didn't pop up talking about an evil genius with a metal detector ;) No doubt it's been an exhausting day. Keep ya chin up huh :)

haha nice one, I wanna see these said meteorites from your garten!

Well im not entirely sure so it could also be weird bomb fragments but they look pretty much molten and are not typical bomb splinters. Wouldnt know what else they should be besides bomb splinters. If you are experienced with this, you can help ruling out certain things. I´ve been look at pictures of Asteroids yesterday evening and the general shape is very similar. Havent cleaned em yet so it could certainly be something else but at this point, i dont know why it should be so unlikely. Theres all kind of shit falling from the skies.

thats fascinating, it would be really cool to have a verified meteorite... a chunk of another world in the universe. I don't have an expertise, other that I know that they are exposed to temperatures of approximately 10,000K upon entering the atmosphere, and should appear a bit molten-like as you say.

This page has some good info :

http://epswww.unm.edu/iom/ident/index.html

Fuck that eg tell the press about it raise hystery then go into business finding mines for disposal (by the bomb squad) and charge astronomical prices.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 3