The Corroboree
domide

Id for unknown tricho

Question

The specimen below was grown from cutting from a cactus I acquired about two or three years ago from a seller on SAB. I honestly can't remember what these were being sold as. I had always thought it was super pedro, but now I'm thinking it could be the Eileen. Could anybody help me out?? The more I look at it, the more I'm certain its not a pachanoi.

eileenorsuper.png

The below photo is of the specimen's baby pup

babyjr.png

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

Looks like a bridge/peru hybrid.

The rib shape and how damn glaucous it is are suggestions for peruvianus, and the "random" spine lengths and thinness are signs of bridgesii.

Whatever the case - it's a very nice plant and I hope it grows well for you. :)

• Like 2

got any sharper photos?

agreed it is a nice looking plant,

looks like a straight bridge to me, i have a few that look mighty similar

• Like 1

My first thought was bridgeXperu as well, mainly because the spination looks somewhat atypical for a bridge. However, bridgesii can have spination that is more regular and short like that on the young growth, so if there are any spines on the stump then a close up of those might help determine. If it is a cross, it is more bridgesioid than any cross I have.

hard to tell, especially as the plant looks dehydrated or not grown in full sun year round +a fair few cuttingds made(stressed)..?

deffo not superpedro

deffo not pachanoi

bridgessi of some sort chances are.

light spination could mean an eileen? perhaps.

any pics of older growth.

Wow, thanks for the interest.

Spacemonk is correct - this plant is very shaded and receives very little water and has had a few cuttings taken off it in the last two years.

Sorry about the photo clarity - I'm not a very skilled photographer. I've attached a few additional photos of older growth - hopefully these will help a little.

baseot.jpg

midn.png

Nice plant but it does look thirsty.

I think I agree with dionysus now. Like I said, bridges tend to have spination like that on new growth, but I think due to lack of light or nutrients it has not progressed beyond that stage even in the somewhat older growth. Spines on peruvians or crosses tend to be very durable, and the spination (as well as the relative lack of spines) on the stump suggests it's pure bridge. I'm not great at differentiating between clones, but the shape is consistent with eileen.

EDIT: It looks like your other cacti are growing in a similar way. They look like they're getting some light. Are you feeding them? You should be giving them a liquid feed every couple of weeks during the growing season, or at least a slow-release at the beginning of the season.

Edited by ballzac
  • Like 1

They currently reside at another person's house, so they don't get much care. I only visit them once every 3 or 4 months and I haven't feed them any fertilizer for a years or two. I will have to start taking better care of them in the future, i think. Thanks for all the ID comments - I guess I'll just have to wait until it gets a bit older and thicker so I can see how the spines are forming.

looks like a bridgesii