The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stillman

Artemisia absinthium and Artemisia vulgarus

Growing a few Artemisia sp out some from seed and some from plant cuttings etc. I really am not sure what the difference between Artemisia absinthium and Artemisia vulgarus other than aesthetically. Anyone have any insight? I found an interesting article on the chemical compounds and a comparison on wild grown plants from Eastern Europe. Interesting read if you grow these plants. http://www.thujone.info/Chemical-Composition-of-the-Essential-Oils

A. vulgaris has been more potent in my experience than A. absinthium for it's oneirogenic effects, and the mindstate it puts me in when trying to get to sleep

Could be that I recognize Mugwort's effects better because I have been using it for longer.

I haven't experimented with either in a while, I started getting these horrid awakenings when I was half asleep. Felt like I was drifting further and further back into my head and away from reality accompanied by a sense of letting go and I really had to struggle to break out of it.

I wonder if I was just catching my self drifting into the dream world and stopping myself.

Care to share how you went about striking cuttings?

I took a cutting from A pontica new growth bit of clone gel moist medium in a plastic container in light box struck pretty quick. I'm not sure if other Artemisia would strike as easily but did a quick google and it is apparently done. I guess if they were a bit tricky you might try layering? I am interested in the synergy between Pimpinella anisum and Artemisia species. Have you ever tried combining th etwo plants? I mean without alcohol as a factor?