The Corroboree
Bread Filter

Shrivelled Lophs

Thanks Planthelper. I'll reply properly later when I am off my phone.

I DEFINITELY have the postie from hell guys.

if the peres broke, try to re root the now shorter stump of the peres (i'v never done this).

if the peres is very short, it might still work, but i would rather regraft onto a pedro.

if you feel uncomfortable with the re grafting thing, cut the peres out, let the loph calluse, and than re root it, using searls seed raising mix.

even if you fail, you would gain experience. i'm sure those lophs will never shrivel up.

you can't loose because i will send you two replacement loph grafts (how many broke in transite?).

readers please note, those grafts broke in transport, i'm sure i packaged them well.

bf, has a postie from hell delivering.

That's the advise you gave me. Thanks again.

The peres broke and left a tiny stem. I tried to root it like that but it didn't take. I'll try grafting it now.

I hassled every place in town for the Searle's Seed Raising Mix but no one stocks it here. I ended up adding sand to the Scott's Osmocote seed raising mix that is all I can get.

There is no need to replace anything PH. Thanks for the generous offer though. I am not very good with peres -that is my big problem. The others have drooped and are looking a little poorly, that is what I was trying to get some help with.

There was only one broken in transit as I reported to you at the time. This wasn't your fault at all. I count you as the equal 2nd packer around here with SAB. Gollum blows everyone out of the water in the packing stakes IMO :)

Peres is a bitch but when its in its happy place it pumps. Don't treat it like a cactus but. I grow mine in pots not too big so say 7cm one. water regularly and either keep under lights or under shade cloth The more humidity the better they push so even keep them in a fish tank for a bit once the scion starts to grow. Once you get them where they want to be then the next problem is too much peres.

I would recommend making a list of all the raw ingredients (pumice, perlite, different grades of sand, composts, manures, different grades of crushed rock and their composition, loam [= standard garden 'dirt']) you can get your hands on for a mix, and doing it that way (for the long run). In my opinion, adding river sand to a below-average, barky potting mix is not going to make a huge difference.

Peres is a bitch but when its in its happy place it pumps. Don't treat it like a cactus but. I grow mine in pots not too big so say 7cm one. water regularly and either keep under lights or under shade cloth The more humidity the better they push so even keep them in a fish tank for a bit once the scion starts to grow. Once you get them where they want to be then the next problem is too much peres.

Thanks for the advice mate. I forgot to mention the conditions my peres are growing in last night as I was very tired working until 4am.

I have mine in one of the cool Bunnings covered mini greenhouse/shelfs. I will try zipping up the front plastic to increase humidity as it has been wide open. They are in a shady spot.

I have read about these problems with having too much peres but am yet to encounter it unfortunately. I will succeed at it though with all the helpful advice I have been receiving.

I would recommend making a list of all the raw ingredients (pumice, perlite, different grades of sand, composts, manures, different grades of crushed rock and their composition, loam [= standard garden 'dirt']) you can get your hands on for a mix, and doing it that way (for the long run). In my opinion, adding river sand to a below-average, barky potting mix is not going to make a huge difference.

Thanks for the tip.

I used seed raising mix as I was advised and not potting mix. There is no bark in it that hasn't been broken down completely.

Oh that's right. :)

I would also go for some larger 3-5mm pumice or perlite in there to get really good drainage. I used sand + seedling mix for some seedlings, but it's basically compacted into "cakes" now. But yeah, it's definitely worth scoping out all the raw ingredients, and their prices, and honing your mixing skills to make the perfect batch, haha.

Oh that's right. :)

I would also go for some larger 3-5mm pumice or perlite in there to get really good drainage. I used sand + seedling mix for some seedlings, but it's basically compacted into "cakes" now. But yeah, it's definitely worth scoping out all the raw ingredients, and their prices, and honing your mixing skills to make the perfect batch, haha.

I definitely have this on my to do list. Thanks mate.

• Like 1

Mitre10 stores carry searles products, including the seed raising mix...

We don't Mitre 10 or Home Hardware here unfortunately. We cop all their ads though.