The Corroboree
Stillman

Aqis are the C word

I suspect that AQIS are under staffed , and the newer recruits poorly trained nowadays . They do in fact have an enormous task - attempting to keep pests and diseases out of Australia . I have not had much to do with them lately , but , in the 1990s [ in NT ] found them polite and helpful ; often amazing me with the species passed when importing seeds . Back then it seemed their main concern appeared to be prevention of introducing pests or diseases , however , I don't know about their attitudes and policies atm . . I had passifloras and a mimosa confiscated , because of concern for the potential of escaping from cultivation . Also , Tomatillos [ Physallis Ixocarpa ] were in doubt at the then time because a related Physallis species was already a weed in Oz , but eventually it was passed , and when under cultivation showed no sign whatsoever of any potetial to go weedy . These particular Tomatillos { P. Ixocarpa ] - yellow fruit - could not survive for long without water , but I suspect they could be invasive in southern Oz . They are very edible , and should they go weedy , it may not be such a disaster - they would be a good " survival food " for both people and animals . . I believe that it is a good thing that people are thinking about survival foods , and species that are beneficial , in view of the very uncertain future of our miraculous planet . It is possible - given the mess we are creating with our way of life - that one day we may be grateful for edible and medicinal " weeds " .

• Like 3